StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It appears I've had my first issue at 9k miles. The gas gauge (fuel meter) continuously cycles. the empty/full bar segments continues to cycle from one bar at the time from empty to full, as if searching. It started a few miles outside Daytona and continued the entire trip and ride back home. My first fix will be to disconnect the battery with hopes it will fix the problem. If that doesn't work, I'll just tape over that portion of the gas gauge, as all other functions appear to work. anyone with a shop manual mind looking up the fault for me?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I imagine a stuck float or bad connection would be likely.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm with greywolf.
Find the cause, at 9k miles you shouldn't have to tape over it.

Is the bike still covered under warranty? That would be the first stop.
If its not I would get under my tank and clean the fuel pressure and fuel gauge connections.
If its still funny, I'd pick up my service manual and get the specs for the voltage of the meter, then go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem after 6000km (<4000mi). My M/C mechanic (authorized) and local Suzuki importer (Israel) are checking for the reason. We already tried disconnecting/re-connecting the relevant cable - no help. My mechanic thinks the reason is the float, but at this stage any "guessed" fix will be hours of work - of course at no cost to me (warranty repair) but a pain in the butt in terms of time. So, if anyone has had this problem AND successfully fixed it, please post it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've had that same problem on my '12, with 14,000 miles on. It's intermittant with me. Comes and goes. So far, I don't pay it much mind as I have more confidance in knowing my fuel status by monitoring a tripmeter that's re-set to 0 at every fill up. 225 to 250 miles and I'm looking to re-fuel.
Ride safe, all.
gary

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my problem fixed

My mechanic finally got the parts in (under warranty). He replaced the float with its electronics - the float has a little electronic board attached to it. It seems that the problem was in the board. Now everything A-OK.

·
Registered
135 Posts
After 25,000 miles I noticed that my fuel gauge will cycle a few times when I first turn on the ignition but then it goes to the proper read out. Before it never did this, it would be blank, and then go to full bars (assuming it was full of fuel tho)

Anybody else notice this?!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
After 25,000 miles I noticed that my fuel gauge will cycle a few times when I first turn on the ignition but then it goes to the proper read out. Before it never did this, it would be blank, and then go to full bars (assuming it was full of fuel tho)

I have the same issue on start-up. Sometimes it will incorrectly read empty but correct itself after a couple of minutes.I'm at 16k miles on a 2012.

·
Administrator
13,567 Posts
I have had it happen intermittently. It would happen for a while and then stop for months. It seemed to happen more often just after filling at different gas stations and I think maybe in rainy weather. It seems to have stopped after reseating the connectors in front of the gas tank. (Ie just behind the steering head.) Don't know for sure if that fixed it or not though as this is one of those things that you can only know if you didn't fix it so it may just be a coincidence.

..Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts

I get this as well. Barely 15k on a 2013, but I just had the dealership do a bunch of insurance work on it, so they may have not sat something correctly. Ill have to go look now and see if I can fix it myself, and pray its just a connector that needs to be re-sat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fuel guage issues

I see multiple threads and much wringing of hands over the various fuel guage issues. Why not just replace this part ($113 at suzukipartshouse.com) and be done with it? :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
If it is a common fault I hope everyone (especially in the US) sends notification to the automotive product commission in their state or at federal level. It could result in a recall that the manufacture would have to fix for us. If it's a $113 part and it fails ALOT then let Suzy fix it as it would only cost her maybe $13, if that much.............

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I didn't think it was just my Wee....mine started last week in Maine with temperatures at the freezing level at 38,000 miles/59,500 kms. It was intermittent, but stopped when I got into warmer weather.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts