StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to send my tank to be cleaned and coated due to rust. All back together and good except I'm not sure if I'm missing a rubber seal that goes on the vent hole under the cap. I can't find any info as to whether a seal goes there or not. I do know when the tank is full, I smell gas now and never did before. Thanks, Al

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The hole under the cap top and above the rubber isn't a vent. It's an overflow/water opening. Any overflow on fill up or rain that gets into filler well will flow into the tube represented by that hole and through a rubber hose from the tank on the other end of the tube. It needs to be open. The vent depends on whether the bike has a charcoal canister or not. Those with a canister have a vent tube inside the tank open on top into the air space over the bottom of the filler neck and extending from the bottom of the tank. The tube is connected to the canister by a rubber hose. Those without a canister have a vented cap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pat, Thanks for the reply. Still not sure if I understand. I'll snap a pic of where I think the seal is missing this afternoon. After filling up the tank and going to my next stop. I noticed gas around the cap after the bike sat on the side stand for a few minutes. Know it's not normal since it never did it before.....Al

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The only seal in the area is the ring on the cap that seals the filler opening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts