StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever removed just the keyed gas cap? I switched out my silver bodywork with orange and then realized that I need to switch gas caps as well.

I see that the complete ring assembly is bolted in with allens but as I lift up the cap I don't see any easily recognizable way to release the cap only.

Thanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It comes off in one complete unit

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
Has anyone ever removed just the keyed gas cap? I switched out my silver bodywork with orange and then realized that I need to switch gas caps as well.
Isn't the fuel cap the same colour on all bikes? It was silver on my red K7.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Others are correct. My '11 Wee's cap is black. If I remember correctly, the keyed cap is held in place with a pin/spring assembly that is one piece with the retaining ring. There may be some way to remove it without breaking the assembly. Good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
keys

I think the op is interested in just having one key for the gas cap. I think in switching tanks the keys would be different.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The color is the same on the cap and the ring assembly but what I did was switch the entire tank - my old silver color for orange. So by doing that I ended up with different keys for the ignition and the gas caps. I have a feeling that when I get done trying to work off a clip/spring or whatever holds the cap onto the assembly that I'll end up with about a dozen pieces and tools in mixed in with my gas! It might be safer just taking out the whole assembly and switching that over.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
The gas cap can be changed, but it's a bit of work.

I broke the mounting ring on my 03.

I did NOT want to use two different keys, did not like Suzuki's price for the gas cap assembly and still two different keys...
Bought a replacement gas cap assembly from someone on ebay.

Remove the whole assembly from the gas tank.

I don't remember the exact procedure to swap the cap piece or the lock cylinder though it was fairly simple, though there a couple of small pieces to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I switched to orange from grey also. 4 bolts and the whole thing moves from one tank to the other. 2 of the 7 bolts are just for appearances.

It's that easy. 5 minutes.

Edited to add: If your new tank is from a bike vented differently, i.e. California vs elsewhere, there is a bit more to it.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
The color is the same on the cap and the ring assembly but what I did was switch the entire tank - my old silver color for orange.
ahh!

Removing the complete assembly is, as mentioned, very easy so just swap them over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts