StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so.. Before we start I'll say that I know the safety issues. Don't mention them because in the end they will be ignored.

I am planning a cross country trip in August. I want to buy 2 1 gallon rotopax and mount them to the crash bars with the openings facing me. I want to plumb in hoses so I can open the tank and pump fuel into the main tank while riding... Remember what I said about safety concerns... My biggest question is how much wind drag will the 3 inch wider per side rotopax cans create? I don't want to stop every 180 miles. Very annoying. Why couldn't Suzuki put a 8 gallon tank on this thing like the Ktm adv bike that it was modeled after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
15,242 Posts
I have the Aerostitch tank panniers on when I tour. It makes some small difference in mpg. Mostly the speed pushing headwinds is the evil culprit for the too soon stops.
I got a 1.25 gal Kolpin to mount on the top box for the extra range. The 650 is a bit less thirsty than the 1000.

·
Registered
15,242 Posts
Basshead,
That is about as neat and counter intuitive use of saddle bags as I've seen.
But it's very similar to the Aerostitch cloth panniers.
The only fault might be the use of hose clamps.
The Luftmeister fairing on my 78 /7 BMW used hose clamps to keep it on and the vibrations would break them occasionally.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Not wanting to stop every 180 miles leaves me with nothing to add except, go for it.
That will be quite a bit of extra weight towards the front of the bike though.
You need to go to the LD website. Those guys know how to do that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Basshead,
That is about as neat and counter intuitive use of saddle bags as I've seen.
But it's very similar to the Aerostitch cloth panniers.
The only fault might be the use of hose clamps.
The Luftmeister fairing on my 78 /7 BMW used hose clamps to keep it on and the vibrations would break them occasionally.
Lol yeah, it's not something I would do, but it's an option if safety is not an issue ;)

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
How about strapping a couple of these on top of your panniers instead?

5 Gallon Spun Aluminum Fuel Tank - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors

That way it's not dragging along the road every time you slide out spraying gas all over you. I know.. I said it..

I have extra gas on the passenger seat behind me where it is safer.

An alternate idea would be to add an extension to your crash bars so they also protect the extra gas can.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Personally, fit a system on pillion or top box area. More balanced, less drag etc. By the time you have fitted up the front cells with a pump you could have a neat aux tank behind you gravity fed.

I know your question and preference is for the front crash bars, but I can't help myself.:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally, fit a system on pillion or top box area. More balanced, less drag etc. By the time you have fitted up the front cells with a pump you could have a neat aux tank behind you gravity fed.

I know your question and preference is for the front crash bars, but I can't help myself.:)

That would be an awesome idea.. But my wife doesn't want to have fuel behind her head. I have a metal 2.5 gallon fuel cell and it would fit in my tour bag but then I lose almost half of its storage. But i do have a bag to strap on top of it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you have panniers? Modify them to mount rotopax bottles behind each of them? I've seen that several times .Looks really good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ahh yes. I don't have one yet, but I was messing with those bags at the dealer and made a scene trying to get them all back together. Lol. Not a HUGE fan of them, but I think for commuting, they look better than the huge ones on the xt.
What if you fabbed up a wing-type bracket back there? And mounted to them?

I also like this, but don't know if there's enough room at full compression.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Hope you come up with a viable solution, but getting off the bike every 200 miles seems to be the best overall choice.

Reactions: Sgt Schultz

·
Registered
391 Posts
How far do you want to go before fueling? Is it that you can ride for almost 200 miles before stopping or are you going to be in areas where finding fuel is difficult? Just curious. I find I need to stop at least every 120-140 miles and look forward to a gas station to find a bathroom, coffee and food choices.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Triman I'll be going from Cincinnati to Los Angeles and then la to Vegas to the bottom half of Utah.. Through Colorado Nebraska Iowa Illinois back home. I want to go closer to 300/350 miles between stops. My old st1100 I could get 300 miles between tanks. So this 180 miles shit to me is worthless. To answer your question I can ride way more than 200 miles between stops. And in some parts of southern Utah I will be scarce for fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,242 Posts
I've done a good bit of the West and there are more place to get gas than one might imagine. I was worried about the area on the Oregon/Nevada border but found gas at Denio and at Fields. Garmin GPS helps a lot in fuel searchers
There are foot peg mounts for gas cans too.it takes the place of the passenger peg.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts