StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo, you know how we all want nifty side cases and gas cans?
I saw a DR650Kawai at the local shop today. He had a conventional side case, think Happy Trail, etc shape, and the right side had what looked like a regular military gas can, mounted.
I got looking at it and the gas cap had a lock on it. Looked again had it had a hinge on the opposite side. Someone is making Jerry Cans with an opening lockable top.
So if you need really different, it's available. i didn't get a chance to ask the owner so I don't know the maker.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Interesting. Not sure if I could give up one side case for a Jerry can though.
I'm going to need extra gas on the trip up north in May with my son. He's got a Rotopax 1 gallon and all I have is the 2.5L bottle that goes on the back of my Givi cases. Looking to add a bit more.

I found these links to Can carriers that have a lockable strap. Probably could be bolted on to existing side case racks.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-vertical-jerry-can-holder.html

Universal Jerry Can Mount - 5 Gallon

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Skidding down the highway on a spark-producing thin metal can full of explosive fluid.

Now going viral on Youtube.
I'm not commenting about using such a tank but if sparks are a concern, you can paint it with RhinoShield bed liner. That stuff is amazingly tough. In fact, the industrial side of the company even makes anti-ballistic coatings.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I'm not commenting about using such a tank but if sparks are a concern, you can paint it with RhinoShield bed liner. That stuff is amazingly tough. In fact, the industrial side of the company even makes anti-ballistic coatings.
Probably have to paint all the other ferrous metal on the bike that could spark too, just to be safe.

Seriously, making a metal can full of gas your likely point of contact in a slide on the bike just seems like, well...call me crazy....a kooky thing to do. Seemed kooky when there was a thread on here about gas cans on the crash bars, and it seems just as kooky when you use one in place of a pannier. It might seem more like a reasonable solution on an off road trip, where the likelihood of sliding a hundred feet or so on asphalt is pretty remote.

Rear mounted fuel cells, tail rack Rotopax, MSR bottles mounted to the rear of the panniers, custom made enlarged fuel tank, they all seem like decent solutions for extra fuel. I totally get why someone would do the pannier thing, and I'd even design a mount for it if someone wanted to try it, but it still seems like an ill-conceived plan.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Don't forget about the 5 gallons between your legs!:surprise:
I didn't, nor do I worry about it. The tank is a lot more protected from impact than a jerrycan hanging off the side of the bike. Even though my S10 has a large tank (I think it's 6.2 gallons), it's protected from contact with the asphalt during a slide by both the crashbars and the handlebars. Even without the add on crashbars, the S10 has bumpers built into the sides of the bike that keep the tank off the ground during a slide.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wingstrom got it. Not a gas can but a container that appears to be a US military gas can that has been reworked into a carrying case.
"Rampage Jeep 86619 Trail Can Utility Tool Box." $89.99 Too hip!
Thanks Wing, you made me look it up. Neener, neener.
Why, that would make a fancy larder and cooking center for the Gourmet ADV bloke.

"Don't forget about the 5 gallons between your legs!"

Yah, I had a 10 gallon after market gas tank for my sidecar rig. It was plastic. Big bomb on the highway!
but, that's only if it decides to get punctured. EPIC!

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Yo, you know how we all want nifty side cases and gas cans?
I saw a DR650Kawai at the local shop today. He had a conventional side case, think Happy Trail, etc shape, and the right side had what looked like a regular military gas can, mounted.
I got looking at it and the gas cap had a lock on it. Looked again had it had a hinge on the opposite side. Someone is making Jerry Cans with an opening lockable top.
So if you need really different, it's available. i didn't get a chance to ask the owner so I don't know the maker.
I misunderstood your post, notacop. Thought you meant that the gas can was an actual gas can with a lockable cap, and not a faux gas can being repurposed as a pannier. Though it's tough to imagine why someone would want to have a gas can pannier (I saw enough of them in the Army to know that they aren't going to be very roomy as a saddlebag), that certainly makes more sense than an actual gas can strapped to the side of the bike.

So, gas cans for everyone!

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yah, RIch. I got the "other" gas can, Kolpin. Mounted it to the top of the top box.
Kolpin mount is plastic and seems to a lighter arrangement than the Roto. I think the Roto uses metal hardware.
I made mine secure on the mount by devising a long clevis pin. If the box is locked, you can't pilfer the fuel can off the top.
Love the pic of the under saddle bags mounts.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Those aluminum tanks are nice, and that seems like a good price, but man do they take up a lot of room. Good for Iron Butting, but probably not so good for a regular two up vacation.

The Rotopax tanks have always seemed to be the best, most innovative design. They're nice and flat so packing on and around them is a lot easier, and they have a multitude of mounting options. One of them would fit just fine on my top rack, which is one of the few places on the bike I'd feel safe with an extra gas can.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Check out rotopax. They can go between your soft saddle bag supports and your saddle bags or be attached to the rear of your hard cases.
I've had mine for years. Finally had to yank that silly assed safety sleeve off as it seized up.
But yeah, good cans if a tad pricey.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts