StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with some thought and trial and error this is what I came up with to haul some extra fuel for our long days of riding on our Alaska trip coming up. I know they sell these but I'm too cheap to buy them.

gas1.jpg

gas2.jpg

gas3.jpg

·
Registered
294 Posts
You may want to use rounded carriage bolts or Allen head under the can instead of the sharp ended hex bolts. I would fear the vibration on the bottom of the can may wear thru spilling fuel!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No passenger when I'm using these. Made them bolt together rather than welded as the Wife is Flying to Anchorage with Ventureman's Wife and him and I are pounding the trip to Anchorage in 3.5 days in order to have the time we need. This way when she gets there I can unbolt and stow away. Just plan to "donate" the cans up there and bring brackets back.

·
Vendor
5,166 Posts
Nicely done!

I picked up that same gas can at Home depot tonight (Briggs and Stratton 1 gallon). Perfect size and reasonable price. I plan to make similar holder for the can using my plasma table, but to go on the back of my Vee2s Pelican cases. At least after get the pelicans mounted.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have been noodling to figure out the best way to mount 5 or 10 liter
Jerry cans, found here: Jerry Can

I do not like the epa gas cans. One gallon is too small, but I may have to give in to the goverment.

·
Registered
710 Posts
So with some thought and trial and error this is what I came up with to haul some extra fuel for our long days of riding on our Alaska trip coming up.
Nice enough work, but be careful. If you ever do a bit of paddling with your feet in rough going, the bracket might nicely run into the back of your lower leg.

This is not theory. Once, at low speed and heeled over I did just that with a Pelican case when I touched my foot down. My size 13 was dragged right under the case. Ouch to both the back of the leg and the foot! The odds can't be any better with a bracket placed low and further forward.

I haven't the trials skills of Sammy Miller, admittedly.

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
Number34..........NICE work!!! I think the location is ideal.........down low for a lower COG, and hopefully out of harm's way should the bike go down sliding on it's side. I have something similar (location), but smaller capacity......two MSR bottles which won't get me much extra milage should I run out of fuel. I believe ideal would be 1/2 gallon plastic jug down there, but they are near impossible to find (i.e. one that is DOT certified as a petrol container, not a milk container, etc). From all the Alaska Ride Reports I've read the last 2-3 years, 1 gallon should get you to a filling station up there.......unless you are on the Haul Road or some similar long stretch. Rule of thumb up there is fill up as often as possible (to an extent) and you should be OK.........

Again, nice fabrication skills you have there.......:thumbup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the very kind words. Yeah, the only reason to carry the cans up there in our minds, was that we're try'n to cover so many miles in the 3 days that we didn't want fuel stations to be closed if we were in the more remote areas. Thought that the couple gallons might help us out to make it to each destination. Figured we wouldn't fill them until later in the day when it was approaching evening. No sense to haul more weight than needed. We'll see, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have two Reda Gas cans that ride in one of the two side cases on my CanAm Spyder. I plan on carrying one in the pannier that will be used for tools, oil, cleaner, chain lube and rags. They don't leak or give off fumes.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nice job number 34. Maybe you can increase the size and I won't need to worry about packing extra fuel.. :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
It's a bit of a tossup with a mod like this. A great idea BTW. Looks nicely done. Tradeoffs would be access to the chain for lubing, which you will be doing frequently (every few fill ups), although you could squirt some in from the back, that's how my buddy lubed his chain.

Walking the bike may be affected as mentioned.

Adds a lot of weight. Bike is already heavy fully loaded.

Will that affect clearance on corners? Test it and see.

How often will you use it? Once? Twice maybe.. Worth dragging it all over the country? A bit of insurance, or forget it and if you run out, flag down a truck or camper van to sell you some fuel.

I am heading up to Yellowknife in a month and thought about extra fuel too, just don't need it for 90% of the trip.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BugMagnet, again these aren't hauled around for the whole trip. It's 3 days from PDX to Anchorage. In order to make it in that short of time there will be some 12-14 hours RIDE TIME not counting normal stoppage. So with that said it'll be up early and riding later in evening. We've heard that not all fuel locations are open late. If that's the case that's where this gets us to one that's open or where we need to be. Hopefully! As far as walking the Bike I'm short legged and don't see that really happening on the Alcan. As far as scraping/dragging don't see that happening since they're mounted above the passenger pegs. Have never scraped my wife's foot that I know of. Not saying this is for everyone, just logging some huge days in order to have time to spend with Wives and traveling.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I only need for 3 days as well and this is why I can take apart, collapse and bring brackets home. The weight is a hell of a lot less then day 4-14 when we'll be 2up. So an extra 20 lbs of fuel and brackets aren't any concern.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts