StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my Zumo on along trip this past weekend and found that the MP3 capacity is lacking.
Can the SD card slot be used to play music?
If so, how to access?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There is a limit of 1000 songs. My 4Gb SD card has close to 800 on it and it takes close to 10 minutes for the unit to start navigating if I use that card. A 2Gb card with close to 500 titles only takes a few seconds so there's either card speed or a non-linear function involved.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I have a ZUMO 450. I store my music on an SD card. Garmin told me that 4 Gigs is the limit for a card. Also in the beginning I was having a problem loading all my mp3s onto the SD card. First you have to make a folder( name it MP3s ) then load to that folder, not just to the card at random. To you young computer guys that may seem a no-brainer, but it took this 59 year old a minute to get that right.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I have 2 x 2Gb cards. Lots of music per card but I can swap them if/when I need a change. Loads fine for me.

There is a limit of 1000 songs. My 4Gb SD card has close to 800 on it and it takes close to 10 minutes for the unit to start navigating if I use that card. A 2Gb card with close to 500 titles only takes a few seconds so there's either card speed or a non-linear function involved.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Also in the beginning I was having a problem loading all my mp3s onto the SD card. First you have to make a folder( name it MP3s ) then load to that folder, not just to the card at random.
I haven't done anything but drag the music files directly to the card, and even iTunes will let you do this from the main window (there seems to be an iTunes restriction of about 100 files at a time).

On the other hand, there is an internal MP3 folder on the Zumo that is unrelated to the SD card.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I haven't done anything but drag the music files directly to the card, and even iTunes will let you do this from the main window (there seems to be an iTunes restriction of about 100 files at a time).

On the other hand, there is an internal MP3 folder on the Zumo that is unrelated to the SD card.
When I first started to load mp3s on my SD card the card showed the mp3s were on it but the ZUMO wouldn't display them. That's when I called Garmin and they advised me to make a folder. ??? Maybe the 450 is different or maybe Garmin changed it's software....or maybe it's just me...LOL.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
On the other hand, there is an internal MP3 folder on the Zumo that is unrelated to the SD card.[/QUOTE]

My tunes are on the internal memory, but I also have an SD card in there. The unit won't access the songs on the SD card. Only access to the internal songs.

I don't understand?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The MP3 will not work without the SD card in.
If I put blank card in the internal music plays.
Conversly, when I pull the empty card out the internal music stops.

Weird or what?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have an 8 gb sd card in my Zumo 550 loaded so far with about 700 songs using 6 gb. I haven't found any delay in loading maps, etc. I do use a file folder structure f:/mp3/artist/album/song. I've read it doesn't work as well if you load everything in the root directory f:/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts