StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Zumo awhile but decided to attempt a trip using the Basecamp software. It has been frustrating. When I create a trip and load it - the Zumo always does a recalc to the fastest route on the way and takes the interstate instead of the scenic route I planned in the software. Is there a way to get it to follow exactly what I create in Basecamp? I had been using Tyre software with an old TomTom and that was quite a bit easier by importing the itineraries. I posted on the Zumo forum but have had few responses.

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I added waypoints which helps somewhat. I also turned off the Auto Recalc on the device. What I am looking for is a way to mark the trip in the software so the device doesn't change it based on the device settings even if recalc is on. There may not be an answer.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
I added waypoints which helps somewhat. I also turned off the Auto Recalc on the device. What I am looking for is a way to mark the trip in the software so the device doesn't change it based on the device settings even if recalc is on. There may not be an answer.
Usually more waypoints are the answer. Are your 665 and the computer running the same version of the maps?

If you wish send me a copy of the route you built and I'll be happy to look at it in Basecamp (and or Mapsource) and on my 660. (PM me and I'll send you my email address.)

..Tom

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes - the maps are always up to date and synced. What I found was simple from the guys on the Zumo forum. Somehow I had done a reset and the Recalc in the unit was set back to Auto again. Once I set it back off it follows my loaded route exactly. I need to keep an eye on it. Thanks.

My second question then is I need to create a lot of routes quickly for here in the Ozarks for my riding group. What I have been doing is to setup a begin and destination points and then to set waypoints along the way and then to do a calculate the route. It seems to work ok but is slow for each map.

It there a way to let it generate a route between the beginning and destination (I know it does this), and then drag the route around onto certain roads graphically?

I will PM you. How should I export the file to send you? Thanks

Usually more waypoints are the answer. Are your 665 and the computer running the same version of the maps?

If you wish send me a copy of the route you built and I'll be happy to look at it in Basecamp (and or Mapsource) and on my 660. (PM me and I'll send you my email address.)

..Tom

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone just gave me a link on Zumo to a video they did with Basecamp and it is perfect. Exactly what I want to do.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It there a way to let it generate a route between the beginning and destination (I know it does this), and then drag the route around onto certain roads graphically?
If I understand your question correctly, Yes. Establish your route with start and end waypoints. Let BaseCamp create the route. Now select the "Insert" icon from the tool bar -- it looks like a short fat pencil or crayon with a + sign. That's now your cursor. Click on your route. A black line between the two waypoints appears. Ignore it, it is just telling you between which waypoints you are inserting a point. Now click anywhere on the map that you want your route to go, as many places as you want and where you want between start and finish. BaseCamp will automatically recalculate your route as you are clicking on the map. Click back to the "Pan" hand, otherwise you'll keep adding points to your route. And if you end up inserting a point but find you don't want it, just open the route's properties box, view all the added points, select the one you don't want and delete it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Kudos to you guys that have mastered Basecamp.... I spent many frustrating hours on it before giving up. Now on long trips I set out a tentative route with Furkot.com on my desktop(forwarded to my phone) then each day punch in a desired location and let my Garmin pick the route. I tend to wander a bit if I see shiny things, so this works much better for my Gypsy tenancies.

Btw Tom, this Zumo 590LM is just perfect.....I am really glad I moved up to it!

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That first video from the Zumo forum I posted above made it a whole lot easier. Shaping points is the way to go because the algorithms are changing the route real time as you move it around. Now I have been only using waypoints when I need a waypoint as a stop.

I watched it as I was doing it and backed it up a dozen times when I had small road blocks to see how he got around them. After a few routes it has become second nature. I probably spent an hour learning that.

Even using that Shaping point process I had to delete the routes and start over a few times to get it to do what I wanted if it was being stubborn but it is very fast to do now that I know how. More points and moving along the route sequentially helps it to override and ignore the algorithms. Just put them closer together and follow the route you want to do. Sometimes it is stubborn if there is a quicker route nearby.

I can see upgrading to the next Zumo model when they come out with the new one (staying one version behind). I got this one for about 60% of the original price when the new models came out. I would do it again to go to the better graphics although this one works perfectly and very well through my Sena.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I had a weird thing happen to the GPS on a ride today. It is the fourth GPS trip/route I have created and this particular trip was a total run of 268 miles. Maybe someone will understand what it is doing. I did the same process of setting home and the destination points and then using shaping points to follow the route I wanted exactly. It worked fine on the first three routes on previous rides so this was the first glitch.

On this one as I traveled about a 100/134 miles of the route to the destination before I got a recalc dialog box and message (even though recalc is set to off in the device) and a message that said the destination is not on a known road and can't be recalculated. At that point the navigation would stop. I simply restarted it a few times and it kept navigating for a while until it would happen again. I made it where I was going after restarting it maybe three times.

There was no problem like this on the return route to my house. I have not looked at the route again yet in Basecamp (tired and drinking a beer) but I am guessing the Destination point was not by a road and the software choked on that? I was a bit surprised at the behavior of the software in that case and wished it had waited until I was close to the destination point before stopping the navigation. Has anyone heard of anything like that before? (all of the maps are synced) I am pretty sure I stuck the Destination point in the middle of a forest and did not move it to a road but I didn't think it would choke it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts