StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the research I've done, this unit seems to have everthing I want wrapped up in a nice package. Is there anyone here that has it? I've found it for $659 before taxes and think its the best deal. I would appreciate any input before I go off the deep end and drop a good chunk of dough. Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got hosed on mine at Bestbuy.com, but had a stack of gift cards, so only ended up spending $50 of my own money. As far as the function, I don't care for listening to music or yakking on the phone while I ride, so the 450 has been a good choice for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For a few dollars more, get the 550 with the car mount and txt to speach. My friend is regretting the 450 as he had to buy a car mount for more than the difference of the two units. Originally, he swore he didn't want it in his car! Txt to speach is also pretty nice as you don't have to look down for the street names, always good when riding. Plus, you have the 'option' of getting sat radio, which I use often on long trips.

FYI, I got my 550 from PCNations for $670 a few months back.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
+1 for making sure you can use it in your car (unless you've got something else there). I've learned you can't always trust a GPS, but I'm sure glad I've got one and it definitely gets used both on the bike and in the cage.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I paid 680 for my 550, if you get that one plus a car mount you are at the same price maybe more.

Get the 550 just for the car cradle, even if you dont want XM etc.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I got a lot of use out of the mp3 player function on my 550 on a recent trip. I never anticipated it being so handy. A 2GB SD card holds a lot of music.

·
Registered
90 Posts
FWIW, I ran into 3 different Zumo 550 owners while in Alaska who had their units fail. Yes, THREE. Yikes!

AGirl

·
Registered
68 Posts
FWIW, I ran into 3 different Zumo 550 owners while in Alaska who had their units fail. Yes, THREE. Yikes!

AGirl
They're all going to fail in parts of Alaska until the update comes out (has it already?). Software bug which causes screen problems past a certain latitude up north I believe...

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
They're all going to fail in parts of Alaska until the update comes out (has it already?). Software bug which causes screen problems past a certain latitude up north I believe...
Yep that is the case, should be resolved next patch. I saw 4 Zumo 550 on my trip to Banff, and all of them loved their units.

·
Registered
22 Posts
zumo problems

I bought a Zumo 450 about a month ago. Immediately upon trying it I noticed some static from my headphones. I them tapped the unit and got the sound to fade in and out from one side of my earbuds. I called tech support and they said it must be a problem with the way the Zumo is fitting in the mount. So they sent me another one. Just put it on today. SAME PROBLEM!

Sound fading in and out of my earbuds and static. I know it's not my earbuds and I'm convinced Garmin not only knows about this problem but is being deceptive about it. I think it's highly unlikely that I just happened to get two defects in a row. They need to fess up about this defect and pull them off the shelves or at least be candid about the problem and revise the mount.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts