StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my trusty Zumo 550 finally started to die a slow death. Three different bikes, countless monsoons, freezing temps, continuous use when riding, 2 crashes......and my friend becomes wonky. I had already repaired the power button, the case was skinned up from flying off in a wreck and the internal battery was shot.

If you use a cell phone you can just shake your head and find another thread. I have a phone too, I know what they do.

I sort of got lucky. I was surfing about a month ago and was looking at the 395. I was about to buy one when I see that the 396 had replaced it. Then I see an Ebay coupon, and well the deal was done. List $400, with coupon $340. My old 550 was about $560 new.

This 396 LMT Zumo is better than the 550 in almost every way.

PROS
- It has a bigger screen.
- The screen is just as bright.
- The unit shows the speed limit where you are. This is a welcome change. It gives you a prompt when the speed limit is reducing.
- Lifetime map updates, 2 per year. Traffic warning capability (have not used this yet).
- The unit is much better looking, thinner, and lighter. Feels more durable. No buttons, all touch screen.
- The screen desktop allows you to personalize the settings to a greater degree.
- It was cheaper. Mainly because it only comes with what you need for using on a bike. No extra car mounts with it.
- More memory.
- Faster satellite acquisition.
- Better UI and easier to use keyboard.
- Very solid mount.

CONS
- There is no screw/security lock like a 550. It just snaps into the base. I like this better really. Some may not.
- The road number text is slightly smaller. Mine is mounted on the left handlebar and I can see it fine with old eyes.
- It did not have a travel case like my 550 did for "off-bike" storage. I am using the one from my 550.

OTHER THOUGHTS
- I started to buy the 595LM (the current top of the line Zumo model at $700), the bigger brother to the 396. I am glad I did not. I thought the larger display would be nice, but the 396 is actually just right for me. Personally, I thought the 550 was over priced for what it offered and the 396 is a much better value. The new unit is just as easy to use with gloved fingers or the thumb of my mitten as my old one was.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Did you see this thing is now $250 at the GPS store. Even I couldn't resist one. ;-)

Reactions: vegashotwheeler

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
corndog, does it have a jack to plug in ear buds?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
corndog, does it have a jack to plug in ear buds?
No.
No input or output jacks, all Bluetooth.
Changed over from 550 to 396 myself, sure miss my XM
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I've got a 396 as well, with a charge cradle mount on each bike. Works great with gloves. My only complaint is that the left right split keyboard drives me nuts.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
On my 350 & 390 you can change the keyboard.

Reactions: oldjeep

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I tried the alphabetical keyboard but quickly changed back to the qwerty.

The split board is good for fat fingers but too frustrating for my small brain.

Reactions: vegashotwheeler

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Old Jeep,
tell me/send me the link to that charge cradle if you would be so kind.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Most will also require the backing plate with the RAM ball on it.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Most will also require the backing plate with the RAM ball on it.
Along with a few other ram parts if that is how you mount it. But that all depends on the bike and location you decide to put it in. GPS city has a ton of RAM compatible pieces that make it easy to mount to pretty much anything you like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What could possibly go wrong ? How about buying the Zumo 396 and not checking beforehand to see if it's compatible with your Sena 10upad.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
What could possibly go wrong ? How about buying the Zumo 396 and not checking beforehand to see if it's compatible with your Sena 10upad.
SO this doesn't work?

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I should have added that I spoke with Garmin and only 2 Sena devices are supported. 10 SMH & 20 S
All that means is they only tested those 2. If I get bored I'll see if it works with my sena srl2. I have no interest in hearing the gps, so I have never tried.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I have 3 Zumo's a 350 and 2 x 390's, one of my 390's was behaving strangely and sluggish, updates had not improved it and it was the only one out of three I was not happy with so I decided to have a play, I know Garmin have some hidden systems that I was able to crack into once before so I thought why not ?

This time I held down the power off button, when I got the "turn off the device" page I ignored it and just continued to hold the power button down, the screen went blank then powered back up again and loaded the maps just like a first start up would do.

I lost no information, all saved features & routes were still there but the performance was back to the way it was when new, I was so impressed my other two units got the same treatment.

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
215 Posts
The 396 works well with my Sena SMH10R and SRL2.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts