StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know much of this unit? It is for motorcycles and seems to be a decent unit.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quest GPS

Great unit. My buddy Don has one for his BMW R1100RT and uses it in his car as well. He loves it and its sure worked well on our trip to Yellowstone last September. I'll be getting one soon ( remanufactured at quite a good price). I think one of those and a Valentine1 are essential to any ride if you want to stay on track and out of jail.......

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quest GPS

Great unit. My buddy Don has one for his BMW R1100RT and uses it in his car as well. He loves it and its sure worked well on our trip to Yellowstone last September. I'll be getting one soon ( remanufactured at quite a good price). I think one of those and a Valentine1 are essential to any ride if you want to stay on track and out of jail.......

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Quest is waterproof and seems to withstand the vibs of a motorcycle really well, without messing up the hard drive. I used mine from CT to the Gap last June, and it was great!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I also use it on my bicycle. The internal battery lasts maybe 8 hours. The Swiss Army Knife of GPSs. There's a lot of cool tracking and mapping features if you are into that.

You'll get used to the small screen in the car/truck.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview,FL

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I too found the remanufactured unit for a good price with a 1 year manufacturers warranty. Does the motorcycle handlebar mount work great or did you do something else to mount it?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Yes I too found the remanufactured unit for a good price with a 1 year manufacturers warranty. Does the motorcycle handlebar mount work great or did you do something else to mount it?
I bought both the Garmin and RAM setup. As I recall, I needed part of both of them. That was a most confusing purchase. The Wee had a lot more real estate on the bars. The Vee due to the clutch fluid makes it sit a lot higher.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And you said it had an internal battery for running it without hardwiring it? I did not know this. And thanks for the picture. Did you buy the refurbished and how has it done?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
And you said it had an internal battery for running it without hardwiring it? I did not know this. And thanks for the picture. Did you buy the refurbished and how has it done?

No I bought it new. I couldn't be happier with it. I'd buy another one without hesitation. Got the plain ole Quest at Christmastime. The RAM mount obviously does not have the electrical hookup. I've been through some moderate rain so I don't know what happens if you hit a real soaker.

You'll enjoy it a lot.

BTW-msheron, is that a Brittany in your avatar? My old girl is 13 now. She's got a few problems but she's been a good friend.

Rod

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had my Quest since Jan '05 and it has been a real trooper. It has run for almost 20 hours on the battery so long as the backlighting is off. I have mine mounted on a RAM ball and connector to the Garmin motorcycle which supplies power from a 12v source. Now the backlighting stays on all the time.

The small screen is not a problem for me. At turns it gets big enough for easy navigation.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I bought it new. I couldn't be happier with it. I'd buy another one without hesitation. Got the plain ole Quest at Christmastime. The RAM mount obviously does not have the electrical hookup. I've been through some moderate rain so I don't know what happens if you hit a real soaker.

You'll enjoy it a lot.

BTW-msheron, is that a Brittany in your avatar? My old girl is 13 now. She's got a few problems but she's been a good friend.

Rod
It sure is............her name is Lucy and she will be two years old this September. She is a handful and loves to chase the cat outside. She is my daughter one might say since my wife and I have no kids to date. Sleeps right in the middle of the bed with us.

You say your Brittany is 13. That is great. The only problem with ours is her energy and wanting to eat all the time.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all who replied. I will probably pull the trigger on one soon.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just purchased one.....A Garmin Quest (R) < meaning refurbished. One yr. factory warranty with addtional warranty for $20 thorugh Square Trade.

$229 including shipping and $44 for the RAM kit.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can buy the Quest models refurbished at a few places online. From $200 to $350. However, I don't like the unit because the screen is too small.

I bought mine on E-Bay from a dealer for $209 plus Square Trade offered me a 2 year ext. warranty for only $20 more. I could not beat that deal and I looked everywhere.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GPS delivered.........

Well I got my Garmin Quest which was a refurbished unit with a 1 yr. warranty. So far the setup is real easy and no problems. I have a 2620 in my work truck so I understand Garmin's fairly well. This unit seems to be the perfect size for the V-Strom and I can't wait to try it out.

I assume if it is as good as the others here who have posted then I will be thoroughly satisfied with the unit.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far I have taken the Quest in my cars to check it's reliability and it is doing great.

I have yet to go for a ride on the bike with it but I assume it will be fine. Nice little piece for the $200 I paid for it refurbished with a 2 yr. warranty.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did a test ride and this thing works great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts