StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working out a GPS solution for both my bike and car, and I think I've decided on the Garmin Quest 2. I really like the placement of that Twisted Throttle SW Motech bracket, so I think that's gonna be my mounting solution. Does anyone on here have this setup? I'm confused as to what all pieces I need. On the Twisted Throttle website, it shows an additional $9.99 RAM mount for the quest, but that won't provide any power to the unit will it? Do I need to buy that optional $70 motorcycle mounting kit that Garmin sells, and use that along with the RAM, and SWM mount? That's basically what I've pieced together so far. Anyone have pictures of this setup? I plan to use it with the MRA Vario screen and Madstad brackets, which I think will work fine.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
I use the Zumo 550 on the bike but have the Quest as well and was thinking of trying it on the bike even though it's not nearly as easy to use. While looking for a way to mount it I come to the same conclusion you did. You have to get the MC mount if you want to power it with the bike. It is supposed to last 20 hrs with the battery but I have never found out how long it will last with the back light on. If you look under Quest gps on ebay, once in a while you see one go in the $40. range. I have got the MC mount without power and it works very well, you just have to run on battery and I don't have a external speaker.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
The Quest is an excellent choice for multi-use. It works in my truck, Vee and bicycle. You will need the Garmin kit for power and the RAM mount for extention. RAM's product offerings overwhelm me but one of their dealers got me what I wanted for like $40-50. I THINK the piece that physically hold the GPS is a Garmin product but all the metal stuff is RAM.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here's my Quest with Garmin motorcycle-specific cradle, mounted up with RAM components. I had http://www.powerletproducts.com/ fab me up a custom coiled cord (they needed my mount) with BMW-type end on it. I did this a few years ago to mount up the Quest on my FJR.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Mr Vrroomm. I must report that max speed malfunction to Garmin so they can fix your unit :)

I was framed. Dammitt.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats exactly how I want it, what bracket are you using along with the Garmin Motorcycle kit?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great. I'm buying a Quest 2 right now off a guy on ADV, and I'm planning on mounting it with that SW Motech bracket.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I hope you guys have good vision. It's hard enough to see on the handlebars. The Quest is great though.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, how did you attach that little clamshell onto the bike?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I've been screwing around with the Quest 2, and so far I really like it. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy that $80 SW Motech bracket from Twisted Throttle to mount it. It seems to be the cleanest mounting option I've seen.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just couldn't bring myself to spend $100 on that bracket alone. Instead, I'm going to try the Pat Walsh shelf and a Pro-Fit LoBoy bracket with my Quest 2. With the leftover money, I bought the Powerlet V-Strom kit and a universal cellphone bracket from Pro-Fit so I can charge my phone on that little shelf also. We'll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So, how did you attach that little clamshell onto the bike?
I just screwed it to the ABS panel covering the speedo housing. It's really simple....and cheap...and adjustable. And only leave four small hose if I should remove it in the future.

Sorry I didn't reply soon. I wish this site still sent email notifications.

Good luck with whatever you do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts