StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I got the Nuvi 650 for Christmas and really like it. Hard to beat Costco's price of $299. It has the wide screen, earphone jack and SD card slot. Not waterproof , but mines been in some rain showers with no problem. It's also light enough that using it on a Ram mount works (No vibration whatsoever). A lot more features than the 200, 250 or 350 model for about the same price.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I have the 200, as does my spouse. They are basic and budget GPS units, but have accurate maps and are easy and fun to use. For $200 it's hard to beat one. As said above, not waterproof, but a good basic car unit. I never use the "navigation", I just like to see where I am, my GPS speed, direction, etc. I've had it about 3 - 4 months and am completely satisfied.

An interesting note, every person I have showed it to (starting with my spouse) has gone out and bought one. Every person. 'Course, I had to buy Meredith's for Valentine's Day so techically every person I've showed it to starting with me has bought one...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have the Garmin Nuvi 680. Very nice unit. Text to speech, 4.3" screen, traffic, weather, msn direct, 6 mill. poi, bluetooth, fm transmitter, etc. But-----I would not use a Nuvi on a motorcycle. Vibration, sun and rain will destroy it. Get the Zumo instead.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I like the portability of the NUVI's. I own a 350, but stupidly left it in my car for a week this winter (WI) and it must have froze. The speaker stopped working and now it won't track satellites. I'm going to contact Garmin and check my options.

However, once you have one you can't live without it. So I just picked up a 260 (same price). They both have text over speech (highly recommend that), but the 260 has a wider screen, better graphics, and sound with none of the other extra's (bluetooth, mp3, etc) that I didn't want to pay for anyway.

I have not tried a NUVI on a bike yet. I can't imagine looking at it that much (safety factor). I know a couple guys who have Zumos and like them...but they are pricey. I might just toss my NUVI it in my tank bag and turn it on and check it on fuel/rest stops.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My Nuvi 350. I've owned this for almost two years and use in the car and on the bike when it is dry. Never had any problems with mine.
I like the positioning of your Nuvi and what looks like a phone? I am curious what kind of mount you are using for the GPS and the phone holder. I have been considering the Zumo 550 and thinking about about under the shield being a better location than using the supplied RAM-mount on the handlebar. I also may want to mount my Nano or Blackberry on the bike for a long trip.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nuvi 650 on my 650

Got it this week from Costco. Ordered a ram adapter for it to use with my existing mount. I like the idea of using MP3 and Gps in the same package. Almost don't need the Amplrider now!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Took the plunge last night and ordered a Nuvi 650 from Costco. I have a lot of mounting info for the Strom, but haven't found much yet for the 1500 Wing. Another toy to learn.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the positioning of your Nuvi and what looks like a phone? I am curious what kind of mount you are using for the GPS and the phone holder. I have been considering the Zumo 550 and thinking about about under the shield being a better location than using the supplied RAM-mount on the handlebar. I also may want to mount my Nano or Blackberry on the bike for a long trip.
I'm using the Cyclegadgets.com mount, item number # RCB-MG-VSTROM+SMALL for the Garmin along with a short arm and nuvi 350 adaptor from RAM. The gadget on my left bar is an XM raidio.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Took the plunge last night and ordered a Nuvi 650 from Costco. I have a lot of mounting info for the Strom, but haven't found much yet for the 1500 Wing. Another toy to learn.
You put a Nuvi on your Strom? Let us know if it holds up. I suspect it won't in the first rain and/or bumpy road and vibrating motorcycle.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I ordered the Nuvi 360 yesterday from PCNation,$257 delivered,bluetooth etc.Just reduced.People like PCNation,my first order.I have bought a tank bag just to hold the GPS and XM roady radio.Weather protected ,no $100 mount and unplug it and use it in my cage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You put a Nuvi on your Strom? Let us know if it holds up. I suspect it won't in the first rain and/or bumpy road and vibrating motorcycle.
I had my Nuvi 350 before my bike so I carry a ziplock bag under my seat which i've used when it rains. Maybe not the best solution but it works well for me (since i already had the Nuvi). I've used the Nuvi for 5k miles, bumpy roads and all, without any problems so far. I'll let you know if it craps out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts