StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note: Solution to this problem has been created for about $5. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Works Great!

While Garmin advertises the Nuvi 765T as having a screen that is good in direct sunlight, I bought one for my bike and cannot read it in the sunlight. If I get it almost vertical, I can see it some of the time but not well. Have any of you found a solution to this? I suspect all the Nuvis have the same screen.

One thing I have considered is trying a non-glare screen protector. Have any of you tried this? If it worked (or did not), please let us know which one(s) you tried and the results.

Thanks,
Vic

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
They don't all have the same screen. Keep in mind, they are intended for cars, so direct sunlight, like you get on a bike, is not as typical as you'd get in a car.

Here are some options, not sure how well they work, but the concept makes sense.

You could probably make one pretty easily.

http://www.glarestomper.com/

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=23012

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Anti-Glare-Sun-Shade-for-Garmin-765T-770-775T-780-785T_W0QQitemZ250581451734QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a57d183d6

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/GPS-Sun-Shade-for-Large-Screen-GPS-Units/3319128/product.html

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply! In Garmin's promotional literature they state "With nüvi 765T's widescreen display, you'll always get the big picture. View map detail, driving directions, photos and more in bright, brilliant color. Its sunlight-readable, 4.3-inch display is easy to read — from any direction." This implies that it would be readable in direct sunlight and it is NOT. I called them and they were rather "yawn" about the problem and no help. I am using a Ram Mount and cradle and the "shades or hoods" do not work with them. Just hoping someone has a solution to this. As it is now, it is not acceptable to me and I may have to simply return it. This is NOT what I want to do but at present, it is marginal at best. I just hope someone has a solution to this problem.

Vic

·
Registered
962 Posts
There's no real solution to your problem and CHIA gave good links and those items are easily made yourself.

Its sunlight-readable, 4.3-inch display is easy to read — from any direction." Well the 4.3 is easier to read than the older 3.5.

Hate to pick up for Garmin here but I don't think riding down the highway at 6pm with the sun at your back and being able to easily see direction is what Garmin had in mind.
I believe your expecting a little much from a Car GPS and you may need to go to something MC specific..

I've been using a lower scale 260 nuvi in an aqua box for a couple years now. Not great in sunlight and I was gonna make my own shade and velcro it on to the aquabox housing before my next trip and also upgrade to the 765T for bluetooth, larger screen, and MP3..

How much do you want for the 765?

Ken

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken, I did not say that the 765T was difficult to read with the sun at my back at the end of a day. That's a worst case scenario. I said it is very difficult to read anytime in sunlight. I also said that while I appreciated CHIA's links, that the hoods he recommended will not work with the mount I am using. Garmin makes the statement that their Nuvi 765T is readable in bright sunlight and it is NOT. They should not be making that claim. It is untrue. I am simply trying to find a solution that that will work for me. Hopefully someone will be able to say "if you get this xyz light refracting, contrast enhancing, screen protector, it will make the 765T readable most of the time" or suggest something else that will solve the problem.

Incidentally, I don't know how long you have been using your Garmin but several have said that several years ago Garmin changed over to a cheaper screen that is harder to read in sunlight. In fact, mine may well not be as good as yours is in sunlight.

Oh, and if I can't find a solution to the problem, I will not be selling the 765. I'll be returning it for a refund.

So, to the rest of you out there, does anyone have any suggestions that may help solve or make this problem one I can live with?

Vic

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Thanks for your reply! In Garmin's promotional literature they state "With nüvi 765T's widescreen display, you'll always get the big picture. View map detail, driving directions, photos and more in bright, brilliant color. Its sunlight-readable, 4.3-inch display is easy to read — from any direction." This implies that it would be readable in direct sunlight and it is NOT. I called them and they were rather "yawn" about the problem and no help. I am using a Ram Mount and cradle and the "shades or hoods" do not work with them. Just hoping someone has a solution to this. As it is now, it is not acceptable to me and I may have to simply return it. This is NOT what I want to do but at present, it is marginal at best. I just hope someone has a solution to this problem.

Vic
I've used that one and a Zumo 550. YMMV but I haven't had much of a problem reading either in sunlight. I also have a Nuvi 500 with topo maps.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad this has not been a problem for you. Your units or eyes must be better than mine! Actually I have two other friends who have 765Ts who have struggled with this issue as well so it is not just me. In fact, I just sent them the link to what I did so they can do something similar.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the brightness down? I think having it too high makes the display wash out in sunlight.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Note: Solution to this problem has been created for about $5. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Works Great!
Glad to hear you got it worked out. I mentioned doing that in my first post.
I use an aqua box and will be attaching a removable shield to it.

Just a thought, but you could have used the whole container, cut the center out of the cover just leaving about 1" of the edge, put clear wrap over container, put cover back on and then be able to use it in the rain. :beatnik:

Good idea and thanks for sharing.

Ken

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ken, I have a large freezer ziplock bag in my Givi top case that I will use to cover the unit in case of rain. I have to pull over to put on rain gear anyway so slipping the bag over it will be easy. If I had used the whole case as you suggested, cutting the top out of it and then covering it with shrinkwrap or similar, not only would it have looked like crap, it would have defeated the entire purpose for doing what I did. For you to be able to read it and operate it from outside, you would have to put the unit up to the front of the tupperwear container and then it would not provide the shade needed to solve the glare issue.

I wish the 765T was easier to read in sunlight and still think Garmin's representation of these units being sunlight readable is a stretch but I can live with it now. I'm just glad that Chia sent the links he did. While I could not use those products due to the RAM mount I am using, his links got me to thinking which led me to this solution.

Cheers,
Vic

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hey Vic,
off topic a little, but can you listen to FM radio on that thing? The web site says it has an FM transmitter to have sounds coming from your car stereo, and a FM receiver for traffic updates.

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope... the FM receiver is only tuned to the traffic channel. I think the top end zumo has XM or Serius (sp) but not the Nuvi.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts