StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Garmin Nuvi 260W and I was wondering if there's a motorcycle mount for it. No such thing on the Garmin website, they want you to buy the $700 GPS that is made specifically for bikes.
I've read in some other posts here about a RAM kit, but I have no idea what it is... when I google it, all that comes up is computer RAM.
The GPS itself has a Automobile, Bicycle or pedestrian mode, does that mean it won't be so good for a motorcycle?
Also is there anyway to charge it? The charger it comes with hooks up to a cigarette lighter. I didn't find anything from the manufacture for charging on a bike either. I am open to any ideas or suggestions.

·
Registered
524 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You might also try bodging something together with whatever car mount you have for your Garmin. Don't try using the suction cup on your motorcycle windshield, but for a while, I used cable ties to hold my Garmin i5 onto the brake reservoir, and then later up on the dash, using the cable ties through an unused windshield bracket bolt hole.

For other possible solutions, though, try googling "Nuvi 260 RAM mount" or "Nuvi 260 Motorcycle Mount". The second one there just netted this - meant for a bicycle but looks like it would work well. http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/010-11011-00.htm

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for such quick responses! I would never try the suction cup, I've had it fall out the window and almost down the highway in the car, can't imagine what would happen on a bike.

I use this same mount for my Garmin Nuvi 350, works great. I run my unit off the battery last about 6-8 hours.
How do you do that? I am new to the whole motorcycling world so the more detail the better! Thanks again

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use a 200 series Nuvi on my bike and I would highly recommend installing a 12V plug in for it. When plugged in the screen becomes noticably brighter than when just running off the internal battery alone (much easier to see in the sunlight, IMO).
I use a Ram mount I ordered from Mountguys.com. Good service from these guys and the Ram products are great!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow now I have a lot of options to consider as far as the RAM mount goes.
I am still wondering how you install a 12v plug or connect something directly to the battery.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Wow now I have a lot of options to consider as far as the RAM mount goes.
I am still wondering how you install a 12v plug or connect something directly to the battery.
It's a basic install..
Being talked about right now in the General Forum
http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=42776

Biggest problem is deciding on where you want the outlet and if you want it switchable or Hot..

Good luck

Ken

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use this same mount for my Garmin Nuvi 350, works great. I run my unit off the battery last about 6-8 hours.

Here is the link for your GPS. If you order, you can save I believe 5% by entering RAMLIVECHAT in the coupon box.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-nuvi-2xx-stainless-steel-u-bolt-mount.html
I just ordered mine. The coupon code you mentioned does work! Thank you so much! Once I receive it and get it installed I am going to start looking into getting a 12v plug connected.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
follow up on RAM kit

Ordered the item, it came on time according to the estimated 5-7 business days for the standard shipping option. I got it installed and it works great!
Great quality product, smooth transaction process, and made right here in the USA (according to the package).
Only thing I'd have done different is maybe have looked for a cradle that is water proof.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry for the delayed response. haven't been on the net much.

glare yes but you can minimize it by adjusting the angle of the mount.
vibration not at all.

the other upside to this is that it actually fits an ezpass quite nicely. (the ezpass with vibrate with this craddle but it still fits)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I power mine with an EKLIPES, cost $15.00 and you can use it to connect to the battery tender too.

If you're looking online, its called the "Cellphone Adapter with Battery Harness"

And if you want to use a Powerlet system later, you can use the SAE connectors

1 - 16 of 16 Posts