StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Ready to throw three Garmins and my computer out the freakin' window.

I have a brand new Zumo 665 with Lifetime Maps. Just doing the initial install and trying to get it to update with the latest maps and it won't install correctly on the SD card. Cannot find the 2016 maps.

I have two Zumo 550's with 2014 maps and also have Lifetime. Again, they won't find the 2016 on the cards.

I have not done this for two years but I seem to recall MapUpdater then MapInstall. Now there is this crappy software Garmin Express.

Can someone tell me what I am missing. I am probably doing something wrong but it has to be simpler than this.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I gave up, I can't even get my computer to find my nuvi 550.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Does the map go to the the card, or does it need room in the unit's own memory?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I was wondering the same thing as PTRider. If the unit has the available memory try updating to that. It is possible the SD card isn't being read because of incompatibilities or because it's simply no good. Worth a shot then at least you can narrow it down to the card.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
You have to select the option to save the map update to the computer or it will try to save it to the Zumo's internal memory and the larger update won't have room. After it is saved to the computer, you'll have the option to write it to the SD card.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly, to save maps to computer, you have to select the "advanced" button to see that option!

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
There is a plethora of GPS type apps available. But......anyone know of one that easily accepts preplanned routing?
It is problems like the OP's that, more and more, make me want to get away from the standalone units of Garmin and TomTom.

I uses OsmAnd on a recent trip to Europe but only as point A to B. Worked well for that.

Rod

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
Hi All:

Ready to throw three Garmins and my computer out the freakin' window.

I have a brand new Zumo 665 with Lifetime Maps. Just doing the initial install and trying to get it to update with the latest maps and it won't install correctly on the SD card. Cannot find the 2016 maps.

I have two Zumo 550's with 2014 maps and also have Lifetime. Again, they won't find the 2016 on the cards.

I have not done this for two years but I seem to recall MapUpdater then MapInstall. Now there is this crappy software Garmin Express.

Can someone tell me what I am missing. I am probably doing something wrong but it has to be simpler than this.

Thanks,
Do you use Garmin Express, and if so is it a later version?

I have two Garmin Zumo 660's (mine and my wife's) plus a 590.

When the maps got larger Express asked about either using the Micro-SD card on mine (I had music on it) or installing smaller segments of the maps (for North America.) My wife's didn't have an SD card and it asked about either getting an SD card or installing segments.

Either way it was quite simple and easy and guided me through the process.

..Tom

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Maybe I'm lucky or blessed. When I did my 2455's it didn't seem to be any aggravation at all.
I was kinda fearful of the system thinking I was trying to load a map on the wrong unit which I think can kill the unit to prevent map theft.
The serial numbers save the day I 'spose.

·
Registered
997 Posts
There is a plethora of GPS type apps available. But......anyone know of one that easily accepts preplanned routing?
It is problems like the OP's that, more and more, make me want to get away from the standalone units of Garmin and TomTom.

I uses OsmAnd on a recent trip to Europe but only as point A to B. Worked well for that.

Rod
For the last few years I have been using my iPhone with the TomTom
app (not free / ISO & Android) It happily bluetooths audio turn by turn to my SenaC10. For importing routes there are quite a few. I mostly use 12379 Motorcycle Rides and Motorcycle Roads .You can import from other riders and based on your location, you can find "rides near me". You can also create your own routes as you ride and later publish them. I haven't found one that imports the audio turn by turn but I have not looked again for a few months. If you want to stay with a Garmin based system, they have a smartphone app (BaseCamp?) It's a little clunky but essentially you email the gpx file to your phone and then select the app to open it. The "email / open with" procedure is how all the various phone apps work.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but it's worth a shot.

I had issues installing my maps as well on my 390LM. First though, I suggest you install any software updates first, as the new maps are larger. I also deleted all my old routes and tracks to free up space on the unit.

Mine still didn't load, and it turned out to be my antiquated Windows 7 laptop didn't have the capacity to save the maps. I tried on the old PC running XP on my desk (no jokes please) and it didn't work due to the OS being as old as I am.

Go to Garmin Express and download the Map Updater....works like a charm !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xsv0qrfmeyruq5/Screenshot%202016-03-11%2021.19.52.png?dl=0 SCREENSHOT

·
Registered
455 Posts
Do Not Use Garmin Express

Instead, dwnld the Garmin Webupdater. With GE, it runs as soon as it detects the device. With Updater you have much more control over the process. Don't forget to register your Garmin device with Garmin.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Garmin is and always has been a PITA. My 3597 for the cage has to reboot 3 times before the current maps will load. Eventually, they will, but hey...

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Garmin 1 800 800-1020

The process sucks! Each year there are new pitfalls and different glitches. I had major struggles each year with my 550 until I decided to phone ahead and ask for help prior to becoming frustrated and angry. I've found the techies to be very pleasant and helpful and asking for help at the start, for me, is simpler than needing help later to clean up a mess.
V-Tom is the only person that I know of who can claim that it's straightforward.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
The process sucks! Each year there are new pitfalls and different glitches. I had major struggles each year with my 550 until I decided to phone ahead and ask for help prior to becoming frustrated and angry. I've found the techies to be very pleasant and helpful and asking for help at the start, for me, is simpler than needing help later to clean up a mess.
V-Tom is the only person that I know of who can claim that it's straightforward.
I guess I'm just weird. Recently I did three map upgrades.. two on our Zumo 660's and one on my Zumo 590. The 660's require extra memory in the form of a Micro SD card. Everything when smoothly. Last night I also updated the maps on one of our computers that we hadn't used for the updates.. no issue.

..Tom

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Make that V-Tom and MikeB. My 3790 update is underway right now, slow as always but no glitches. Had to update Garmin Express first, but that took no time at all. No need for an SD card, which I removed because it has NT Europe on it and I'd hate to have that overwritten.

1 hour and 33 minutes remaining as I type this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts