StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made a VStrom icon for their Garmin Nuvi/Zumo?
There is a site that allows custom vehicle creation for the Garmin Nuvi (http://www.techmods.net/nuvi/ ) - The icon is made up of 36 80x80 pixel images with a rotation of 10 degrees for the 360 degree view. There is another site showing making the icons from a model batman car, being rotated on a plate. (http://www.instructables.com/id/animated-gps-batmobile-icon/ ). My thought is to put a real Vstrom with the rider on it on a rotating plate (under the center stand?) , stand on a ladder 45 degrees above and back, white sheets as backdrop, and shoot pictures every 10 degrees. Convert the pictures to the SRF format, then when using the GPS, you would see yourself on the screen (or at least the back of your bike and helmet when going straight). 80 pixels by 80 pixels is small, but still seems to be recognizable. If luggage was mounted, it may be more recognizable front to back? The Garmin SRF file could be posted to the forum, and everyone using it would always be behind you when they ride!

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
As a photographer let me tell you that's a whole lot of work to see yourself on the GPS screen.

Personally I'm quite fond of the Grizwalds station wagon from summer vacation. If you look closely you'll notice that it even has the empty leash attached to the bumper.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I did this with the overview mode so I only needed one picture from above the bike. Unfortunately the color was never right since no one knows what color value Garmin uses for the transparent areas.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Unfortunately gimp won't select the transparent layer. Even if I use the select tool and select just what I want and paste it in there it still leaves an area around the image that discolors everything. This was the best I've been able to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts