StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the AMA members here Garmin is offering 20% off of retail price on navigation units and software beginning November 19. Check page 32 of the December 2008 issue of American Motorcyclist for more info. Not sure of the details but for those needing a good GPS it might be a way to save some cash.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's a nice benefit but it's usually easy to find better prices by purchasing from a retailer rather than direct from Garmin even with the discount.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a nice benefit but it's usually easy to find better prices by purchasing from a retailer rather than direct from Garmin even with the discount.
Yeah, I know. My 2820 didn't come directly from Garmin for that very reason.

The details aren't up yet, or at least weren't yesterday, so I don't know how it will be handled. If it's in the form of a 20% rebate regardless of where it's purchased and regardless of the selling price it will be worthwhile. It the device has to be purchased from Garmin, as I expect will be the case, then not so much worthwhile. Worth checking though if someone is in the market for a good GPS.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
What Greywolf said. The AMA "discount" ad for the SPOT Tracker caught my eye. So I researched the product on the mfg web site and the factory deal is almost the same. Maybe the AMA should try a little harder if they really want to use discounts as a member benefit.

As for the Spot Tracker, it might have some value for me 5 or 6 times a year, but I think I'll wait until it costs less and is half the size.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I checked the AMA link to Garmin and the 30 percent discount for the Zumo 550 brings it down to $675 - not bad but you could probably beat it online elsewhere. The discount applies to accessories as well though - the GXM for XM satellite comes down to $187 with the discount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts