StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new farkle but I need to wire it up. Got the mount figured just not sure how to run all the leads. Do I pull everything back to the battery area and just loop the unused leads under the seat? Not sure if I have enough length to do everything. Just thought I would ask before I start. Pictures of wiring? I am using richland ricks gps mount.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Just got my new farkle but I need to wire it up. Got the mount figured just not sure how to run all the leads. Do I pull everything back to the battery area and just loop the unused leads under the seat? Not sure if I have enough length to do everything. Just thought I would ask before I start. Pictures of wiring? I am using richland ricks gps mount.
Not sure which year your bike is. I suggest you wire it to a switcged source. I suggest you pull the right side panel off to get better access and better see what you are doing. Then after bolting the gps mount in place and the cradle, run the wiring down beside the windshield mount and into the fairing. Get a bunch of tie wraps and neatly tie wrap the wiring to the fairing bracing and then over the bike's frame near the steering head making sure that you have no interferance with the forks as they rotate. Look for the switched lead behind the radiator. Years 2004-2011 had it on the right side and was for the heated grips option. Years 2012-2014 have two switched leads. There are several threads on this forum and V-Strom Riders International with pictures showing where the leads are. They are all 2 wire leads with Suzuki couplings on them. You may need to undo some electrical tape on the bike's wiring harness to get access and some slack to work with. I suggest you solder the connections and shrink wrap them to seal out dust and moisture. Once you make the the final connections coil any extra wiring from the gps leads and tie wrap them in place. You can get mating leads for them from Eastern Beaver which is an excellent source for any of your wiring requirements.

Link: VStrom

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts
I ran mine (old Garmin 2730) back to the battery area. I installed an Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse block in the tray under the seat and wired it in there on a switched circuit. If I remember correctly, I had just enough wire to accomplish it. I put the wires in a small diameter wire loom for protection for most of runs length.

Wire looms:

PC-8:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick respose

I am trying to get the wires as supplied by garmin back to the battery area. I intend to wire the gps directly to the battery and then coil the other leads somewhere. Bike is a 2013 dl650. The fuse holder and the other bundled wires don't want to snake back there. Really don't want to cut anything. I do have a cable tv lead snaked to the front.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I had already fitted a 12v cigarette socket to my bike, it is wired to the battery for constant 12v power so I wired my Garmin's power supply to the back of the socket, quick and easy.

So if you don't have a 12v socket you should think about fitting one at the same time as you do the Garmin or if you have a socket it may save you some work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good idea so what did you do with the wire bundle? mine on the zumo 660 is about 5 ft long and 4 leads after the junction.

·
Administrator
13,739 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a switched lead for a GPS unless you are in the habit of leaving it sitting on your bike switched on when you are not around. Direct power is good either to the battery or to an always-on connection of a fuse box.

I mounted my 660 on the left Handlebar of my 2012 DL650. The cable length is pretty good if you run it down in front of the steering area and back` around the left side of the tank. There won't be a lot of excess but what there is can be left in the area behind the left side cover.

..Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom I have my side cover off the one that hides the tank. Did you run your leads behind that side cover? That is what I am going to try next it seems to me that the triangle connecter deal would hold the side cover out and not let it lay flat? Sounds like you did what I want to do. Thanks for the reply any other info is appreciated am going to try this in a few hours.
Thanks again

·
Administrator
13,739 Posts
I can't say I recall exactly how i doid it as it was about 22 months and 51,000 miles ago. I don't think I removed the tank when I did it but was able to feed it under the left side of the tank. It is very cold here right now and my bike in the back yard buried in snow and ice so I am not anxious to go over and look. :(

..Tom

·
Registered
587 Posts
I mounted mine to the wind screen bracket using a ram ball, that way it is up high enough to keep my eyes on the road,

I used a garmin "motorcycle" lead and fished it under the left side of the tank, the tied it into a relay switched by the rear tail light
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1388767688.138963.jpg
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1388767700.388450.jpg
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1388767711.328275.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't say I recall exactly how i doid it as it was about 22 months and 51,000 miles ago. I don't think I removed the tank when I did it but was able to feed it under the left side of the tank. It is very cold here right now and my bike in the back yard buried in snow and ice so I am not anxious to go over and look. :(

..Tom
can't say as I blame you Tom. Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the info. I was able to route the wire bundle behind the side cover that protects the tank. Now all I need to do is program the device itself ie download updated maps and figure out how everything works.
Again thanks this forum is great.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
good idea so what did you do with the wire bundle? mine on the zumo 660 is about 5 ft long and 4 leads after the junction.
My bike is a 08 and my wires are fixed inside the fairing on the left side, this is also were my socket is.

If you turn your handlebars to the right and look down through the gap you created you will see the fairing has like a well in it, I zip tied my excess wire and socket into the well.

I hope that makes sense ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts