StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
It looks like that particular model doesn't come preloaded with any maps. The basic 100K maps cost about $80 and the higher resolution 24K maps usually cost more.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct. I don't think the 100K are detailed enough, so I am loading the 24K topo's myself. For $20 on flea bay you can get the eastern or western half on the US. the vendor says it's a mix of 100K, but mostly 24K....I think I'll try it first. Garmin sells the 24K mostly by state and that can get expensive.

·
Registered
14,219 Posts
I'm amazed at what the 2455 Garmin does map wise and POI's and traffic. Great for a 100 dollar POS.
My old Street III has a surprising base map configuration.
Like a Thermos keeping hot things hot and cold things cold, How do it know?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Correct. I don't think the 100K are detailed enough, so I am loading the 24K topo's myself. For $20 on flea bay you can get the eastern or western half on the US. the vendor says it's a mix of 100K, but mostly 24K....I think I'll try it first. Garmin sells the 24K mostly by state and that can get expensive.
I am interested in feedback once you have it up and running. I have been eyeing that GPS anyways and the price is right but the lack of maps have me cornfused.

·
Super Moderator
16,231 Posts
I am interested in feedback once you have it up and running. I have been eyeing that GPS anyways and the price is right but the lack of maps have me cornfused.
Good bud of mine got one for his bike and had very high hopes, needless to say he didn't keep it long. It routes very strangely and many times is just flatout out wrong, it is most certainly designed more for off the beaten path routes. Big thread on ADVrider about bike GPS, that one has taken a pretty good beating from my understanding.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use cheap $20 Nuvi 1490T's I buy off fleabay for primary navigation( I always carry a back-up). I wanted the 610 for topo capability only & I picked the it for the size of the screen. I used it yesterday while walking 270 ac & counting marketable trees.

I bought the Eastern half of the US form this vendor:
Topo Map Card for Garmin Astro 320 Micro SD Full Eastern Special USA | eBay

Unfortunately there is a problem with it, the 610 says it there, but no maps show up. The vendor is already sending me a new one after he figured out there was a change on Garmin's side that was causing the issue. So right now I am using a 2008 topo SD card that is in 100K. I used it yesterday while walking 270 ac & counting marketable trees. The 100K works but really does not give enough detail especially if you are walking. I'll post up how the new SD card works when I receive it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts