StromTrooper banner

Garmin 60CSX Purchsaed; Now how do I wire/mount it (have a richland rick gps mount)

2391 Views 19 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  greywolf
Hi folks.

I have purchased a Garmin 60CSX GPS and already have a Richland Rick's GPS mount setup.

So my question is, what do I purchase now?

I'm thinking of:
* Car adapter that is wired directly to my eastern beaver wiring harness (question here of whether you would recommend switched or unswitched circuit)?
* RAM cradle (don't need a mount I think; just a cradle): Amazon.com: RAM Mounting Systems RAM-HOL-GA12U Plastic Cradle for Garmin Astro 220, GPS 60, GPSMAP 60, 60C, 60CS, 60CSx, 60Cx: Electronics (I'm not sure of whether this would work for the Richland Rick setup.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
You need the cradle, a diamond base with 1" ball to attach to the cradle and a double socket arm of the correct length as in Mounting Adaptor Base - Composite Diamond Base with 1" Ball - RAM Mount

The double socket arm will connect the ball on Rick's mount to the ball on the diamond base that attaches to the cradle. You can see the diamond outline on the mount where the diamond ball will attach. I don't think the cradle comes with a diamond ball. If it doesn't, you'll need one separately.

The car power adapter has a 5VDC regulator built into the cigarette lighter plug. You need to step down the bike's 12VDC to 5VDC using something like that to power the unit. Probably the easiest thing would be to connect a cigarette lighter socket to the bike via the EB wiring harness. Switched keeps from running down the bike's battery if you leave the unit on the bike. Unswitched keeps the unit working at gas stops with no attention to settings but you need to take the unit off when leaving the bike. It's up to you.

· Premium Member
3,322 Posts
Garmin sells a bicycle handlebar mount for the GPS60csx [Got mine at REI]. Here it is mounted on my old bike, but now I have it on my Wee's handlebar......works great, and the mount is only about $15-20. The mount is super secure - when I used this GPS to ride the infamous Upper+Lower Porcupine rim trail in UT, on my mountain bike, the GPS unit remained in place the whole 15 mile angry, rocky, drop-off encrusted nasty downhill [it was so rough a descent, that the Gps unit turned itself off a few times due to the jarring shock jostling the motion dampened batteries].....if the mount was gonna fail, it'd have failed then. If you have the room to mount it on your h-bar [or fab a bolt on mount from an old road bicycle handlebar like I did in the picture below, that mounts via one of the bolts at the handlebar area], it's a cheap, and reliable way to mount your garmin.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You need the cradle, a diamond base with 1" ball to attach to the cradle and a double socket arm of the correct length as in Mounting Adaptor Base - Composite Diamond Base with 1" Ball - RAM Mount

The double socket arm will connect the ball on Rick's mount to the ball on the diamond base that attaches to the cradle. You can see the diamond outline on the mount where the diamond ball will attach. I don't think the cradle comes with a diamond ball. If it doesn't, you'll need one separately.

The car power adapter has a 5VDC regulator built into the cigarette lighter plug. You need to step down the bike's 12VDC to 5VDC using something like that to power the unit. Probably the easiest thing would be to connect a cigarette lighter socket to the bike via the EB wiring harness. Switched keeps from running down the bike's battery if you leave the unit on the bike. Unswitched keeps the unit working at gas stops with no attention to settings but you need to take the unit off when leaving the bike. It's up to you.
I understood all of this except for the double socket arm. So basically you're saying I need an adapter to go from a 1" ball to the diamond setup. I know that the cradle I linked has a diamond female adapter.

You also linked me to a part but I'm a little confused because the Richland Rick setup that I have now (I believe) has a male ball that is attached to my windshield.

So in other words, I can have the diamond part fit into the cradle but then I'll have a male 1" ball; and not sure that will attach to the Richland rick gps mount. Because then i have two male parts (the diamond=>1" ram mount ball, and then the richland rick gps ball)

38,702 Posts
i have two male parts (the diamond=>1" ram mount ball, and then the richland rick gps ball)
Right. This is the double socket arm. It connects the two 1" balls. You'll need to figure out the best length for your application as they come in different lengths.

38,702 Posts
Sorry Pat.......that is just funny!!!!:green_lol:
I knew it when I wrote it. I was just wondering what lame brain would feel compelled to snicker publicly. :biggrinjester:

· Registered
808 Posts
Not true for the 60C series. The unit is internally regulated and will accept input voltage of up to 26 volts.

See page 91...
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GPSMAP60CSx_OwnersManual.pdf

I use a 4 pin connector harness wired directly to unswitched source(with fuse though). I don't like it powering off every time I stop. Also, every time the 60C shuts down, it will save a detailed track. I use this as an automatic daily track save, unless I am travelling farther in a day than the memory will hold, then I will manually shut it off mid day and start another track. I have inadvertently left it turned on for a few days with no ill affects. It doesn't draw enough to kill the battery quickly.

Not sure what Richland Rich's set up is. I use the Ram cradle and ball mount with a 3" arm, and has worked very well on both my V-Stroms and DRZ400 for 8 seasons.

38,702 Posts
Not true for the 60C series. The unit is internally regulated and will accept input voltage of up to 26 volts.
Thanks. That's helpful info and the first I've heard of a unit doing that. I wonder why it was set up that way.

· Registered
808 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right. This is the double socket arm. It connects the two 1" balls. You'll need to figure out the best length for your application as they come in different lengths.

That makes a ton of sense now.

So I'm hearing that I'll need about a 3" double socket arm guy? Anyone else have a similar richland rick setup?

· Registered
254 Posts
On my bike I am using Rickland Ricks GPS mount with;
RAM-B-201-A 1.75 inch arm
RAM-B-238 diamond base
RAM-HOL-GA12 holder

Sometimes it is cheaper to buy the RAM-B-149Z-GA12 combination part and throw away the handlebar base.
Correction: Sorry this part comes with the 3 inch arm.
RAM arm lengths are measured ball centre to ball centre so the full length is just under an inch longer.

Still searching for info but I thought the GPSmap 60Cx/60CSx would take 8-32 volts (don't quote me)

I am using an Eastern Beaver BMW style power socket to the left of the instruments

PS Recommend that you use the aluminium version of the diamond base ( RAM-B-238 ) that attaches to the holder.
The plastic version ( RAP-B-238 ) have been known to crack across the ball base in high vibration environments

· Registered
808 Posts
Still searching for info but I thought the GPSmap 60Cx/60CSx would take 8-32 volts (don't quote me)
That was my belief too, but if you go to my previous post the link goes directly to Garmin site and the manual for the 60csx. It shows 26v.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
26V input?

Thanks. That's helpful info and the first I've heard of a unit doing that. I wonder why it was set up that way.
well - army trucks used to have 24V systems, maybe thats a hint

· Registered
149 Posts
Not sure about the Garmin but the Magellen and the Tom Tom will cut themselves off after 20 minutes of no movement. Also, I thought that a GPS used so little power when on that it would take forever to drain a charged motorcycle battery. {Now wait for greywolf to verify or correct me!}

38,702 Posts
People have reported a day or two can be enough time to drain the bike battery enough to prevent starting. I was surprised it took that little time but haven't done any experiments to verify.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.