StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Just picked up a Garmin 390LM for my DL, my question is I've wired it directly from the battery to the cradle , is there any issue leaving the Garmin in the cradle most of the time ? . I set the GPS in sleep mode when not in use and was wondering can it damage the unit being on the power all the time or does it just trickle charge it ?

Happy Xmas to all

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had my 590 that way for guide a while but changed it to switched because I didn't want to forget to turn it off and have a dead battery when I return.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I have had my 350 set up that way for over 2 years without a problem.

The unit has not been in the cradle 24/7 but it has been in there for a great part of it.

I now use a 390 as well as the 350 with the same system so they do get swapped out more often.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi there,
Just picked up a Garmin 390LM for my DL, my question is I've wired it directly from the battery to the cradle , is there any issue leaving the Garmin in the cradle most of the time ? . I set the GPS in sleep mode when not in use and was wondering can it damage the unit being on the power all the time or does it just trickle charge it ?

Happy Xmas to all

Cheers Paul
Dick Smith special ? ;)
I may wire mine same as yours but we wouldnt leave it on the bike when the bike is parked at home.
Cheers Paul ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dick Smith special ? ;)
I may wire mine same as yours but we wouldnt leave it on the bike when the bike is parked at home.
Cheers Paul ;)
Thanks for your replys and yes a Dick Smith special alright , was just about to buy a water proof case and put a car GPS in it when saw the Garmin 390 for $270 with all the fittings etc and thought that will do me nicely.
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yep, same score here ! thanks to a tip off from Ang and Hugh ;)
Used it in the car yesterday just for kicks...man that abbreviated keybord is different!!! faaark! I have to recite the damn alphabet to find what group of letters the next "input" letter is in - AND they are hard to see :(
Positive is that the abbreviated keyboard characters are big enough to read and touch :)
Strangely? when we were driving on a new section of road that was not in the mapping, it showed the motorcycle icon against a blank screen, it did not recalculate the route (and it was set to recalculate) ?? wtf? it was not set for "track" or dirt roads either. WTF?
I find it amusing that despite having a motorcycle icon for the "vehicle" that it still says "Driving" lol.
Ahhh well, practise makes perfect- I,ll use it locally on my day to day trips, entering routes I usually take, and see how it responds just so I can get to know its "characteristics" ;)
It HAS to be good :) its a G A R M I N ;) lol
cheers
PCinA'ville on a PC!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes typing in a destination is slow but should get used to it , the old Tom Tom rider GPS my father handed down to me seems more user friendly .Just been out for a short run and normally on most other devices when you are navigating to a destination it shows you automatically the distance to go and your ETA does our Garmin have this basic feature ?, I can't find it as yet .
Cheers
PC

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I could not get use to the abbreviated keyboard so I changed it to the normal one.

I have a question to put my 350 to sleep it is a quick press of the button and to turn it fully off I just hold the button for a few seconds.

My 390 only has the quick press sleep mode, it does not have the fully off option do yours ???

You will find ETA and other features under the distance button (bottom left) press the distance and it will give you some more choices such as ETA.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rolex ,
some good tips there, and yes on my 390 if I hold the button down for about 5 seconds it gives the option to turn device completely off, and just pressing for no more than 2 seconds then releasing it goes into sleep mode.
Overall I'm happy with this years chrissy present any thing new for the strom is great.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
My 390 has a issue then, I don't get the option to turn off.

If you have trouble up loading rides from your computer to the Zumo give me a hoy, there is a hidden page on the Zumo that will help.

Another tip is the trip meter is under the current speed icon, it took me a while to work that out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really happy with the GPS now ,went for ride today well only to work and back but everything now sorted .
Got rid of the abbreviated keyboard and back to normal with full A to Z keyboard settings .
With the advice from the forum and downloading the full user manual made a big difference.

Paul

·
Registered
650 Posts
Today I uploaded current maps to ours, it now shows the new Ewingsdale Pacific Hwy bypass including the St Helena tunnel:) we drove through it on Christmas day and the gps just showed a rider on a blank screen lol.
It seems there are many "layers" to the menu/sub menus...I found a way to display the route itinery as a map (not a flyover sadly...) but cant remember how I did it! also I have found the screen brightness in direct sunlight to be shithouse. - though I was just walking around on the driveway,
I.ll whack it on the bike (cradle mounted already) and go for a short ride and see how it is in the real world ;)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
For some reason I have found the screen on my 350 better than the 390.

I have my 350 brightness set at 50% and it is definitely easier to see than the 390 at 50%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts