StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2730 keeps going off when I hit even a small bump at speed. it is plugged into a powerlet plug which is getting good power. when it loses power after a bump it will come back on in a few seconds so I assume the connection at the powerlet is not good.could this be just wear or maybe rust thoughit doesnt look bad? should I be spraying or lubing or do others have this problem?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Clean the contacts where the the cable connects at the back of the 2730, and make sure the connection is solid. You may even find you need to bend up the brass contacts to be sure.

I've run into the same thing on my 2720, particularly when I was using the the RAM holder that does nothing in particular to keep the cable in place. I switched to the Garmin motorcycle mount, which causes the cable, where it connects to the GPS, to be held in place in the mount.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
My Garmin Nuvi does the same, it's the power socket though- not the Garmin that is the problem.

I'm thinking of hard wiring mine in with a switch to turn it off.
I leave mine on the bike all the time and it is locked in an AquaBox so I can't get at the on/off switch without unlocking it.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
My Garmin Nuvi does the same, it's the power socket though- not the Garmin that is the problem.

I'm thinking of hard wiring mine in with a switch to turn it off.
I leave mine on the bike all the time and it is locked in an AquaBox so I can't get at the on/off switch without unlocking it.
I got this:
Amazon.com: RoadPro RPPS-16ES 12V 6' Extension Power Cord with Cigarette Lighter Socket: Automotive

Its spring is so strong that there is no possible movement of the stock garmin charger. I was skeptical too, but bumps or jumps had no effect. It is rock solid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts