StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my Garmin 2730 finally tonight on a Pat Walsh Radar Shelf. Took some pics of the install.

First off I decided to beef up the shelf since Pat did not design these for a GPS. I found this bracket in a spare parts drawer (pretty sure it is an old rack bracket).

Bracket View 1

Bracket View 2

I then screwed the plate on the bottom of the shelf. I thought have the slots on the front in case I wanted to mount something to the front of the shelf.

I purchased a Pro Fit LoBoy mount to mount the the Garmin mount to the shelf. I really only need the L bracket shown in the photo below.

Screwed it all together and checked at the table to make sure it was OK.

Now I mounted the shelf to the bike.

Then I wired it up and put everything together.

The weather sux here so I can give her a test run yet to know if I will be happy with this solution. I can definetly say I am happy with the looks. Will post an update when I can give it trial run.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Looks great!

I did something similar with my 60Cx and a RAM mount, but I need to beef up the shelf like you did to eliminate a bit of bounce from the shelf flexing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks good!

I just received my 2730 yesterday.....after using a GPS V for a few years, this new one is sweeeeet! Now I can do away with the Pioneer Inno for XM on the road, AND the Ipod.

I'll be mounting mine up via the RAM kit.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Hope the mount works for you. I had my 2820 mounted on the same shelf and never could get rid of the vibrations. I had a stiffener mounted underneath it as well and that helped but not enough. Finally stuffed a big rubber bushing between the shelf and dashboard and even that wasn't enough.

I loved the positioning of the GPS though. Right in front of my eyes where it needs to be.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I really like the position. If I have a bad vibration issue I am going to try to fabricate a bar that will be bolted under the front of the shelf, and then connected to the plastic above/behind the instrument cluster. I am hoping I will have enough aluminum left after I get my side soft luggage support built (next project hopefully over the weekend).

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got a really good run in yesterday and it was my first chance to give the GPS a run through. Shelf works great. Placement is in a great position as I can quickly look down and still have a good view ahead. XM worked great only dropping out under some high mountains on Rt340 leaving Harpers Ferry.

However I was extremely disappointed in the FM Transmitter. To put it nicely, it sucks. I bought a Walkman radio, set it to a clear channel and the GPS too, and even though the radio is about 4 feet from the GPS, it is horrible. If you set the radio to Local, you can't even get a signal, and DX it still has static. I was able to hear it but it wasn't great. Will probably hardwire a headphone cable to plug directly into the GPS.

There is some vibration in the shelf, but I didn't have any issues with it. I may try and build a center support and brace above/behind the instrument panel, but haven't decided if I will do this yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Garmin 2730

Good looking setup! I am comaparing the 2730, the 550 Zumo, and the Quest 2, any comments on those units? Also, is the 2730 waterproof? :confused: I have not seen any comments on that, but I assume so.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Just ordered a 2730. I would have liked the 478 but alas, the wallet/wife spoke! Anyway, I will be using a ram mount on my bars. I have an old streetpilot mounted there and it works good for me. Just peeks over my tank bag. My question is, Anybody feel the need for a sunshade with thier 2730? Also, where did you get your cradles and hard wires? I have used Cyclegadgets in the past with good luck, but they do seem a lil high. Thanks,Chris

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my Garmin 2610 (used for the 2730) Motorcycle kit off of eBay. $36 shipped. Kit has the Garmin Mount, and the hardwire.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If I ever get to master the procedure to post pictures, I will show you guys the simple bracket I home built for my Garmin quest. Basically, two pieces of bent metal. The biggest one is sort of Z shaped and is bolted to the under side of the windshield bracket and bent in a way that it exerts a constant and considerable pressure on the top of the dash. The second metal part is a discarded ribbed metal part that I used to give the whole assembly some stiffness to get rid of the vibrations and hopping while riding. The whole setup works fine. Looks good, especially when painted in flat black and is very discreet at about 2.5 inches wide. Some vibration starts to show up on rough roads at around 130-140 kph (80-85 mph for you yanks!) but still perfectly readable.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well even though you haven't posted a pic, I understand what you are getting at and never thought about bracing it like that. Sounds good. May have a new project.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ebay

Got my RAM mounts and hard wire for my 2730 on ebay. I built a shelf for the antenna but thought the vibration would be too much on gps unit itself. I plug a Radio Shack amplifier into the audio out port on the unit and then plug my helmet speakers into that. I can hear perfectly well with that even in this ungodly noisey KBC helmet.

Love the way I get xm, mp3 and audiobooks on this unit. I did a 2000 mile ride recently and it was great.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update.... Added additional support

Just wanted to add that I decided to add some additional support under the shelf. I added two pieces of 1"x1/8" AL bent with the windshield mount screws holding it to the bike, and then screwed together with the shelf. Will test it out fully tomorrow on the way to work, but just pushing on it shows me it is very stable and should have fixed the bouncing issue. Only a $5 fix, and I still have at least 18" of AL left.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I put my 2730 on a handlebar Tourtech mount with a quick release plate on the left side. It sits on a stem stand on the FJR. With the quick release plate I can move it from bike to bike in about 30 seconds.I have a lockable Tourtech holder that cradles the 2730.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update, No Bounce

The Aluminum strips worked great. GPS is very stable with minimal vibration. Excellent for under $50 in materials. Only took about an hour and a half to cut, bend, drill and mount. Anyone wanting to do this you will need the following:

Pat Walsh Shelf: $29
Pro-Fit LoBoy Mount: $14
1"x1/8"x36" Aluminum: $5

You can ignore the rackmount stiffening above as I am fairly certain the Aluminum will be enough alone.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well I got a really good run in yesterday and it was my first chance to give the GPS a run through. Shelf works great. Placement is in a great position as I can quickly look down and still have a good view ahead. XM worked great only dropping out under some high mountains on Rt340 leaving Harpers Ferry.

However I was extremely disappointed in the FM Transmitter. To put it nicely, it sucks. I bought a Walkman radio, set it to a clear channel and the GPS too, and even though the radio is about 4 feet from the GPS, it is horrible. If you set the radio to Local, you can't even get a signal, and DX it still has static. I was able to hear it but it wasn't great. Will probably hardwire a headphone cable to plug directly into the GPS.

There is some vibration in the shelf, but I didn't have any issues with it. I may try and build a center support and brace above/behind the instrument panel, but haven't decided if I will do this yet.
Little late in the thread, but i am looking at this unit (saw your post for the refurbs). Anywho, you say you were using the fm mod to a walkman... doesn't the unit have a 3.5 out? Let me know what you have ended up doing for sound. I currently carry a Zune and a XM so am interested in this (much cheaper than the zumo).

One more note, if I don't want the music/weather/traffic part of it. What is the "peoples choice" for a gps just to find your way around...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up running a 3.5 extension cable from the audio out to where the front of my seat and the tank meet. I then connect some headphones at that point. Take a look back at that thread, someone else posted a link to another vendor with the refurbs cheaper, and one without the XM antenna for a steal. I have XM and love it. Listen to it every ride. MP3 has limited space of about 900 MB max, and I do have some MP3s loaded but rarely listen to them. I have Traffic and weather, find the weather more useful than traffic so far. For $3.99 more per month it is a nice feature.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts