StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here use the Garmin Nuvi 200W? Tell me what you like and don't like about it. I like the larger screen on it. WalMart sells them for $218.00.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Does anyone here use the Garmin Nuvi 200W? Tell me what you like and don't like about it. I like the larger screen on it. WalMart sells them for $218.00.
The only real problem is that they are not waterproof. I've got a Nuvi in the cage and it uses the exact same maps as the Zumo.

The Nuvi series does have other limitations and it's best to go to the Garmin site and use the "compare models" feature to see what you get and don't get.

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can save tracks and routes with the Nuvi series like you can with models intended for motorcycle travel. There are probably still available some of the 26xx, 27xx, 28xx series around for short money (refurbished and with a warranty) that are much better suited to the bike.

Here's a link to a 2720 that somebody on the BMWMOA site bought a few days ago for $168. http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/bobwv203

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I've always been a really big fan of Garmin but to get the features I want at a reasonable pricepoint, the next receiver I get for my Strom will probably be a TomTom.
I don't think you'll like the change if you've been with Garmin. I didn't. Try one.

I have a friend who had a TomTom go belly up on him and he reported their customer service was awesome. Three days after he got his new unit, it failed too. Not a good sign.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The Nuvi series does have other limitations and it's best to go to the Garmin site and use the "compare models" feature to see what you get and don't get.
Dollar for dollar its actually the other way around. Nuvis just start lacking features when you're looking at $100 budget models like this one. I was going to do the Zumo at first too, but theres just no deals on em EVER. :)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
The only real problem is that they are not waterproof.
Baggie and two rubberbands. Yes, I know that you have "been there and done that", (and got fried....), but I've been lucky so far with my Mio. I purchased the extended warranty for the unit, and I am told that it will be replaced no matter what, (if it drowns in water or gets dropped.). So, I have an excellent system that is waterproof by slipping a baggie over it and anchoring that baggie with two rubberbands.

But, I have moved on to craving a UMPC......... It will let me do anything that I want and is "rugged" and waterproof. But, wicked expensive! (Then again, I don't have to justify the purchase to anyone but Reuben. And, when I scratch his belly and feed him dog biscuits, he will nod "yes" to anything I ask for. He's such a softie............ ;) )

Barry B.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Rather than a UMPC, why not go with a regular 12" tablet on an appropriate tank bag? :) Tank bag are excellent vibration dampers. The only special moto consideration would be to find one that has a nice and bright screen, but the new ueber-thin and efficient LED backlit displays are.

Toshiba M700, Latitude XT (now w/ multitouch ooooh), and HP 2710p should all fit the bill in that department. :cool:

12" diagonal is smaller than you'd think since theres no keyboard in the way.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Nuvi 350

just received my NUVI 350 from edge GPS 222.00 4 days to receive it from order date...So far I like it:bom_glasses:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Dollar for dollar its actually the other way around. Nuvis just start lacking features when you're looking at $100 budget models like this one. I was going to do the Zumo at first too, but theres just no deals on em EVER. :)
Prices have dropped quite a bit on Zumos. Amazon had 450's for $399 last week. I suspect new models coming soon.

As to features, it all depends on what you want. There must be 20 different Nuvi models. I find Garmin's "compare models" webpages to be mandatory in that rat's nest of a product line. :devil_16:

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Not a fan of the 200 and 200W but we have Nuvi 255's, 360, 660, and 760. One of the guys at work is using a 255 on his Gold Wing. I have a 760 in the car but don't find the wide models any more functional than the smaller ones.

The biggest limitation is that you can only to one destination with one via point. You can't pick multiple via points to push a route you want except on the more expensive models like the 760. I don't know which if any Nuvi models come with the software to plot routes on the PC, which I do all the time with the Zumo. I don't know if you can swap routes on the fly like you can with the Zumo. The absolute most aggravating feature of the Nuvis is that if you have a route selected, it doesn't display your actual speed on the front screen.

I also had the 2610, 2720, and 2830. The older models allowed you to customize the front screen to get what fields you wanted, including cardinal direction, elevation, ETA, speed, etc. But they don't have the high sensitivity receiver, don't have an internal battery, are physically large, don't have particularly bright screens, don't recalculate as fast, and may have older maps. I'm glad they're still popular because I sell our old ones on eBay.

I'd say though, that the worst auto-routing GPS is better than nothing. I'm shocked at how few motorcyclists have GPS's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nuvi

Used a Nuvi 250W in a truck quite a bit and liked it, not as good as my marine Gps units, but at the price it is not to bad, with how fast things are changing I am looking at a Lowrance XOG, waterproof, street maps loaded and can use Lowarance mapcreate software with topo data as well. Online price is $209. Pretty sure the Bluetooth enabled units are going to come down in price rapidly as the competition heats up. Next spring they will alll be obsolete.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great responses. I think I'm going to wait a little while to see if Garmin updates the Zumo line. I noticed that the Zumo's don't have the "Where am I ?" feature to find nearby hospitals, police, etc. I'm hoping they add that to the Zumo's.

tmcgee, the "compare" feature is useful as hell.:D

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I noticed that the Zumo's don't have the "Where am I ?" feature to find nearby hospitals, police, etc. I'm hoping they add that to the Zumo's.
If you hit "where to" and then "food" or whatever you're looking for, the nearest locations show up in a list. The list includes distance and an arrow showing direction. All newest Garmins work like this.

The only problem is that the POI list in *any* GPS is woefully incomplete. Yeah, 6 million locations is a big deal, but it probably needs to be 6 billion to be complete.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Thanks for all the great responses. I think I'm going to wait a little while to see if Garmin updates the Zumo line. I noticed that the Zumo's don't have the "Where am I ?" feature to find nearby hospitals, police, etc. I'm hoping they add that to the Zumo's.

tmcgee, the "compare" feature is useful as hell.:D
That's true but not a show-stopper.

To find a hospital, you select the menus for:

Where-To
Food, Lodging [etc]
Hospitals

To get your coordinates, you select
Where-To
Coordinates

...and it fills in the fields with your current location.

The one thing that's not readily found in the Zumo is elevation. You can look at the elevation data on a saved track, but you can't get it in real-time.

When folks talk about "planned-obsolescences," (the continuous detail improvement of a product) this is the kind of thing they're talking about.

Caveat: not all Nuvis have any way to display elevation, either. Those models with "Where am I," do.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Not a low-cost model, but the new Nuvi 500/550 is waterproof, multi-mode (drive, hike, bike or boat), has removable rechargeable batteries, saves up to 10 routes, optimizes multiple waypoints, includes topographic maps and street-level maps for turn-by-turn navigation for the 48 contiguous states, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, and is "motorcycle friendly". If it can really do all these things I'd be psyched, since I currently have 4 to do those jobs.

Annoyingly, it does not announce street names, but the soon to be released 550 is supposed to.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you hit "where to" and then "food" or whatever you're looking for, the nearest locations show up in a list. The list includes distance and an arrow showing direction. All newest Garmins work like this.

The only problem is that the POI list in *any* GPS is woefully incomplete. Yeah, 6 million locations is a big deal, but it probably needs to be 6 billion to be complete.
Thanks Tom, I guess it gives you the "where am I" info in a different way.

Not a low-cost model, but the new Nuvi 500/550 is waterproof, multi-mode (drive, hike, bike or boat), has removable rechargeable batteries, saves up to 10 routes, optimizes multiple waypoints, includes topographic maps and street-level maps for turn-by-turn navigation for the 48 contiguous states, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, and is "motorcycle friendly". If it can really do all these things I'd be psyched, since I currently have 4 to do those jobs.

Annoyingly, it does not announce street names, but the soon to be released 550 is supposed to.
Thanks garandman, the Nuvii 550 sounds like a promising unit. I have noticed that the screen on some Nuvi's is not bright enough. I wonder if they are doing something about that.

·
Registered
22,235 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got my eye on a Garmin ZUMO 400 or 500 (when I can scrape enough pound coins together) yes I'm this side of the pond, any one had one ? any good? are they even available in the US and what's the cheapest any one's sen either of them for??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts