StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After returning home from a 250 mile ride, I knew it was time to start getting a little more air. I've never liked the stock windscreen and have been using the Suzuki touring screen.

I mocked-up the stock screen on the bike, then cut off as much as possible off the top. I used my Dremel tool with a cutting wheel. The plastic will melt as you cut, but it all cleans up pretty easily:

After marking up the screen in various ways trying to find a look I wanted, I settled on trimmimg the fat off the sides:

After finishing both sides, I rounded the corners a bit and cleaned up my cuts:

I then sanded the back side of the screen with a fine grit paper, cleaned with rubbing alcohol, then sprayed it with Krylon Fusion flat black paint:

It was too late when I finished to do a test ride. I'll do so tomorrow, post ride impressions, and take some better pics (it's tough to take pics of black in a garage with overhead lights.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

So I took a test ride this morning. The screen provides clean air with absolutely no buffeting up to 70 mph (and I'm sure at higher speeds.) It is *slightly* louder than when I stood up on the pegs. I'm 5'8" tall, so it should be even quieter for those who are taller. I intentionally rode without ear plugs, so I'm sure it won't even be noticeable with them in. Obviously, air flow is greatly improved, and it should prove to be a much cooler ride this summer.:cool:

Overall I'm quite please with it. I wasn't going to use the stock screen anyway, so this provided a free alternative to commercially available sport screens.

As promised, here are some better pics:

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's COOL!!!!! I really like the looks of that.I have been thinking of doing that myself but dont want to trash the stocker cause I might use it someday.I might get some plexiglass from home depot and try that out.Paint it gloss black and put a suzuki sticker on it.I like seeing creative things like this.We ought to have a creative section in the main headings on this sight.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's COOL!!!!! I really like the looks of that.I have been thinking of doing that myself but dont want to trash the stocker cause I might use it someday.I might get some plexiglass from home depot and try that out.Paint it gloss black and put a suzuki sticker on it.I like seeing creative things like this.We ought to have a creative section in the main headings on this sight.

I see stock windscreens pop on Ebay regularly and they usually sell cheap. Or, just cut up the one you have and worry about replacing int later.:p

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Sock puppet, have you ridden the bike with the shield removed ?? If you did what where the results ??

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sock puppet, have you ridden the bike with the shield removed ?? If you did what where the results ??
Nope, never taken the time to ride it when I had the screen off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks great.....good work and very neat and tidy looking....could be a market out there?????

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I can't make any promises, but maybe I can find a way to trace out the screen on paper, scan it in to the computer, then post it somewhere in a printable format. Anyone know how to do this?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I did yesterday and it wasy great.No buffeting or head vibration at all.I had my visor down and when I turned my head it felt like someone was pushing on it.Lot of pressure at 70mph but a good flow of air.A better helmet would do wonders for me.Just take you shield off and try it.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I cut down the stock screen the other day, since I now have a Givi screen for when I want more protection. I used an adjustable sliding square to transfer the curve of the top of the screen down about 4", then made a rough cut with a jigsaw fitted with a plexiglass blade. I filed down the irregularities, then sanded the edge smooth. Quick tip for anyone planning to use a jigsaw: put some masking tape over the area the base plate will bear on, because even with a plastic plate cover, it will still mark the screen.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Thats exactly what I'm going to do with my stock screen for summer riding. How well does the krylon fusion stick to the screen? I am assuming you painted the inside of the shield? Looking forward to doing this project as temps are starting to climb here again!

·
I'll be back
623 Posts
Ummm I wouldn't clasify those as windshields...
Maybe bug screens?
How about fly swater?
Bee butt removal tool?
Moth masher?

+1 on the mods there boys. I did that last year too. givi in the winter. Fly screen in the summer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats exactly what I'm going to do with my stock screen for summer riding. How well does the krylon fusion stick to the screen? I am assuming you painted the inside of the shield? Looking forward to doing this project as temps are starting to climb here again!

Yep, I painted the back side of the screen. I sanded it with some very fine grit sandpaper before painting. It seems to have adhered very well, though I haven't been rough on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts