StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided, since I am keeping this bike, to add the garage door opener to my list of "farkles". I know a lot of folks will just hook up their garage door opener to the high beam circuit, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I wanted something a little more robust.

When I had my K1200S, I added an Autoswitch controller. Basically its a programmable unit, that activates your garage door opener. What I like about this unit is that I can program it so that I have to hit the flash to pass, twice to activate the garage door opener. I know, big deal.

Anyhow, the hardest part of the install was getting access to the high beam circuit itself. Soldering the wires onto the remote control was easy and fun. Getting enough space to work on the high beam circuit...not so much.

Anyhow, I think that is the end of my mods.........famous last words, but for now I think I am good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
My method is a very simple..I buy the mini door opener. They make them that work on all openers, on the Beemer I double side tape on the front of the gas tank out of site, on the other Bikes in top of the tank bag if in bad area I put inside of tank bag. some day I will hide those in a good location on the bike. I am into things that are simple do not fail..:grin2:..

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I can appreciate the moment of satisfaction you will experience each time you open your garage door with your headlights.

I just finished wiring a 4-way switch circuit in my house because, well, why not? Every time I use it to turn my verandah lights on/off where I previously could not, I smile a little bit.

As for my garage door, I keep a remote in my breast pocket. I just smack myself in the heart whenever I want to open or close the door. This method has served me well for a decade or so.

Maybe on my next bike, I'll go a little more flash.

It's good to be a little extravagant here and there.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had to buy another door opener anyway, so I went with the Mo-Door. Little black box under the seat. Hidden button amidst the black trim near the seat. Very hard to find if you don't know it is there. easy enough to reach down and click when I turn into my cul-de-sac. Door is open by the time I get to it.

Easy install. Set it to work with your door. Peel and stick.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I just used an opener fob and extended wires to a remote momentary button. Zip tied the opener up under the fairing out of the way and done.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
As for my garage door, I keep a remote in my breast pocket. I just smack myself in the heart whenever I want to open or close the door. This method has served me well for a decade or so.

Maybe on my next bike, I'll go a little more flash.
I like that a little CPR when you open the garage door...:grin2:

·
Registered
673 Posts
sticky sided Velcro. About 1" square on the flat section left of the tach. Soft side of Velcro on the garage opener so that hopefully any replacement will be on the opener and not the dash of the bike.
I have not taken it for a ride yet to see how still it is or if it moves a little.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Have been at same OLD KENTUCKY home since 1965. Back then just having a two car attached garage was ivy league for my back road place.:grin2: Even put a opener on one of the doors about ten years ago.Wife has her car in that side.I don't have a car and my 37 pick up is in the barn with five old motorcycles.Two Vstroms in the garage other half.
Wife ask,"Why don't you put one on your side?" If I can still ride I can get off and slide up a door,"told her back then. Now at 71 and more so when pulling in off a few days camp and ride trip not getting off and back on the loaded down bike in a heavy rain would be nice. I have not told her that!>:)I still have a flip phone but she is looking to get me a more modern one the last week.:kiss:

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
[I still have a flip phone but she is looking to get me a more modern one the last week.[/QUOTE]

Hey another old guy, keep the Flip Phone. I tell every body that makes funny remarks about my Flip Phone, that it is the new super mini I Phone it does what I bought it for. TA DA it makes phone calls...>:)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
keeping it? Did you debate selling it already?

How many K do you have on yours now? I've hardly road mine, it's just been so darn cold :( I did a Kingston - North Bay via Algonquin Park, then came down 17, was a nice ride the wife and I enjoyed. Other then that it's had very little use. Don't think i've sat on it in a month :(

Looking at the weather forecast I am really regretting it now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts