StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual for my 2002 V-strom doesn't even mention these plugs though clearly they can be used now...it only recommends the CR8EK and there is a gap check/adjustment procedure shown for those plugs.

My question is do the iridium plugs need to be gapped? On the box there is a picture showing a plug being gapped with a red X through it as if to say "do not gap these plugs" but no text to confirm.

My thoughts are it's pre-gapped from the factory but just thought I would confirm.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
it's good to check the gap before installing plugs. It certainly can't hurt.
i suppose whatever the original plugs were set is appropriate.

This post has been relegated to false/fake news. Posted by one who has learned mo bettah!:fineprint:

·
Registered
431 Posts
They come pre gapped. The electrode is thin so be careful when you check the gap. If you just pop a wire gauge in there you can damage it.

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
My question is do the iridium plugs need to be gapped? On the box there is a picture showing a plug being gapped with a red X through it as if to say "do not gap these plugs" but no text to confirm.
When you see a red circle with a 45 degree red line through an image, it means do not do this, so yes, do not attempt to gap them.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,188 Posts
VERY EASY to destroy the iridium electrode! Most don't have the tools to correctly gap, and would probably do damage just checking the gap, of these spark plugs.

Unless the plug has already been damaged by hitting it on something leave them alone. These plugs can and will fire gaps that other plugs will not, so gap is not as critical.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Agreed, don't go sticking your grubby gap tools in there. Iridium plugs are especially vulnerable, but I've seen platinum and standard plugs damaged by egregious gappery too.

Eyeball each plug to make sure it hasn't been dropped on its head, and screw it in.

For that matter, every NGK plug I've ever used has come from the factory with the correct gap. I haven't gapped a plug or even bothered to check in aeons. Eyeball and install.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have never gapped an iridium plug. Run them in all 3 of my current bikes, ran them in my last 2 bikes (older Venture & yamaha 850 special)....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody! I did not attempt to gap them. Starts great but now I have a misfire to figure out....seems to be between 3500 to 4000 in maybe 3rd or 4th. I'll see what I can find on here...seems to be a few possible explanations, none of which are perfectly black and white. ugh!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts