StromTrooper banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
SOLVED - end thread
Simply removing the brass anti-rattle clip on the calliper and solved the problem. No more catch, and bit of a rub but it will all wear in with the new Galpher pads and new Galpher Wave rotors.

So I see the moral of this story as: be careful with after-market fit and relationships of parts.

Finally the Strom is ready, repaired (and upgraded) from a 60kmh impact with the side of some a-hole鈥檚 car-and I didn鈥檛 die again.

Thanks to all who helped out, hope it might help anyone else in a similar fix馃嵒

Registered
Those anti-rattle springs also stop the pads eating away the aluminium of the caliper on occasions. I know the rear ones on the DL650 do that and I know someone who trashed the calipers on an early 650 because someone thew them away. Probably a dealer mechanic when the damned things kept falling out on him, I know I felt like doing it a few times.

It's just a warning and probably not relevant in this case anyway but check where the caliper hits now.

Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
My guess is that there is still a bent part in play. Either the caliper mounting ear, the fork leg, even the axle. That part that is hitting should not be that close to the rotor.

Registered
In the first post you say, 鈥 rolling stops back and forth before tightening the fork鈥檚 pinch bolt鈥. I have always bounced the front without using the front brake. Could one of the fork legs twisted or spread before tightening the pinch bolt?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
In the first post you say, 鈥 rolling stops back and forth before tightening the fork鈥檚 pinch bolt鈥. I have always bounced the front without using the front brake. Could one of the fork legs twisted or spread before tightening the pinch bolt?
Anything is possible in the shop of the home mechanic!鈥 but I aligned the forks carefully with the front wheel/axle and then torqued to spec.

First run on the bike was all good, just squeals now and then from new pads on new rotors, so took it easy. I鈥檝e decided to take the bike in and have a certified mechanic go over everything on the front end, telling him the whole story first. I was careful and it isn鈥檛 my first time working on a bike in this regard, but I鈥檇 rather have the peace in mind of their experienced review and checks.

Registered
What's that front tire? It's a weird thread pattern. The way it is mounted now it is channeling any water on the road surface towards the middle of the tire, instead of out to the sides. Normally I'd say you've got the rotation direction wrong, but the rotation direction arrow is correct. No problems with aquaplaning?

Your rear tire, to the extent that I can see it, does have the thread pattern so that water is channeled to the sides.

Registered
What's that front tire? It's a weird thread pattern. The way it is mounted now it is channeling any water on the road surface towards the middle of the tire, instead of out to the sides. Normally I'd say you've got the rotation direction wrong, but the rotation direction arrow is correct. No problems with aquaplaning?

Your rear tire, to the extent that I can see it, does have the thread pattern so that water is channeled to the sides.
You made me look twice, BackPacker. I looked at my pictures of my other bikes over the years and most have the "V" in the tread that same way (Pilot Road, Pilot 2CT & Angel ST), but a bias ply Bridgestone on an old V65 Sabre and an old Dunlop SportMax Touring on my Trophy has the "V" pointing down. Weird.

Cheers,
Glenn

21 - 29 of 29 Posts