StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just got all of my gadgets (GPS, CB, XM Radio) installed on my 05 DL650. The whole thing is plugged into Mix-It 2 Headphone Anplifier. Its really great as this Amp has a Priority Override input so all of my device mute whenever my CB is activated. What do you guys/gals think?

Wingman

D

·
0 Posts
But do you have to remove the windscreen in order to get to the ignition now.... :lol:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
daswulf said:
But do you have to remove the windscreen in order to get to the ignition now.... :lol:
Nope, not at all. What the picutre doesnt show well is that I have Pull-Back risers, which gives me plenty of room for the key.

My buddy is calling this thing a Wing Jr. because of all the toys I have on it.

Wingman

D

·
0 Posts
On a serious note, how much wattage are you pulling with all that and how much overhead do you have left? I keep reading that our 6fiddies don't have a whole lot of room on the alternator for accessories, and I am definately looking into some heated gear and grips, as well as maybe a few gadgets of my own.

I am getting corrupted by the BMW riders I keep hanging out with...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Something's missing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's still a little useable space there to work with.

Outside air temperature guage maybe?

Maybe a grandfather clock?

·
Registered
725 Posts
cyclerama2000 said:
Something's missing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's still a little useable space there to work with.
There's still room for a juicer. How are you supposed to enjoy fresh squeezed juice out on the road without a juicer?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
daswulf said:
On a serious note, how much wattage are you pulling with all that and how much overhead do you have left?
To be honest with you I haven't totaled the wattage. I think I read somewhere that the wee-strom has about 150 extra watts and I doubt all of my gadgets draw that much. Now if I had to add heated grips and/or aux lights I might be concerted.

Wingman

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cyclerama2000 said:

Outside air temperature guage maybe?

Maybe a grandfather clock?
Oh come on! Outside air temp guage? Now thats just silly! :lol:

I'm sure I can find something else to add.

Wingman

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TomStromie said:
How do you keep all of that stuff from disappearing when you park it?
Other then the CB radio, which is wired directly into the bike, all of the gadgets are removeable. I used a couple of Powerlets and a RAM mount so I can remove all of that stuff in less then 1 minute.

Wingman

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's still room for a juicer. How are you supposed to enjoy fresh squeezed juice out on the road without a juicer?
The juicer, fridge, hi-def TV and the microwave oven are all mounted on my Gold Wing. Thats my long distance ride. :lol:

Wingman

·
Registered
725 Posts
wingman said:
daswulf said:
On a serious note, how much wattage are you pulling with all that and how much overhead do you have left?
To be honest with you I haven't totaled the wattage. I think I read somewhere that the wee-strom has about 150 extra watts and I doubt all of my gadgets draw that much. Now if I had to add heated grips and/or aux lights I might be concerted.

Wingman
Actually, I thought the V-Strom only had around 75 watts excess capacity. (Maybe that's just the big bike, the 650 has more?) But you should be fine, those sorts of gadgets don't draw very much power. Probably something on the order of 4-5 watts each.

You can calculate the peak wattage for each item by simply multiplying the voltage by the current draw to get power in watts. Presumably they are all 12 volt, and stamped somewhere on them will be an amperage rating. Typically this sort of gadget would be drawing less than half an amp. This will be a peak amperage, they are probably normally drawing less. If you want to get really accurate you could hook all of them up to an ammeter, but this calculation will give you a ballpark worst-case value.

Now if you really want another gadget, you could mount a radar detector. There's still room above the gauges and under the windscreen for one.

B

·
0 Posts
keep reading that our 6fiddies don't have a whole lot of room on the alternator for accessories, and I am definately looking into some heated gear and grips, as well as maybe a few gadgets of my own.
Small thigsa like GPS and radr use very little power.

Heated grips, electric vests and extra lights are what suck up the jiuce

L

·
0 Posts
Agree with Bobb...

The basic rule of thumb is that Electronics are OK, Electrics are to be used wisely. :wink:

If you're going to be using a heated vest OR heated grips OR aux. lights you should be OK. Problems will arise when you start using these simultaneously.

To be on the safe side, hook up a voltmeter to your bike. At least that way you can monitor when things are a little too hot!

http://tinyurl.com/2dq6f

Cheers,
Lucky

A

·
0 Posts
I was thinking, dam this looks like a Winger's dash then I glanced at your handle enough said :lol: I test rode a Bigstrom yesterday nice bike ,with mods I bet it would scream :wink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts