StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up at a dealer in N Utah and he had a new Fox Orange standard out on the floor. I believe he said he had one in back as well. He has been sold out since early March.

Based on this, I can only assume that Suzuki finally got some inventory off the boat, through customs and has begun to ship them to dealers.

Anyways, I figured this might be news worth having for anyone that is struggling to locate one before 0% financing runs out.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another one has shown up at:
Michael's Reno Powersports 775-825-8680 (ask for Chris).

The guy called me back from when I was searching in late May.

so it appears that they are dribbling in very slowly.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I called a couple dealers that are close by, and they all acted like getting one wasn't a problem, one even said he could get me one this afternoon. But he never called back. Waiting for a second dealer to call back. Just didn't want to go an hour and 45 mins away to get one.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The place where I originally ordered my Glee but couldn't get one is showing two on the floor right now. They are listed at MSRP though, not $800 off like when I ordered one. An interesting thing is one is black and not an Adventure model.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The place where I originally ordered my Glee but couldn't get one is showing two on the floor right now. They are listed at MSRP though, not $800 off like when I ordered one. An interesting thing is one is black and not an Adventure model.
They must have run out of luggage. :green_lol:

·
Registered
964 Posts
...An interesting thing is one is black and not an Adventure model.
Mine is only 2/3 adventure: the dealer had a std and an adventure. Someone bought the std and really wanted the bags, so the dealer took the bags and rack off the Adventure and put it on the orange one for the guy.

They sold me the de-bagged adventure for the price of the std (having made the upcharge on the sale of the bags to the orange-buyer), so I got the bars and laminar screen as "free" upgrades.

I guess the dealers are allowed some latitude.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i bought my dealers last orange one and the adventure black he had went a few days after i bought mine...they are getting full msrp and the owner said they can't keep up with demand, especially for the accessories. my accessories are back ordered so i just ordered givi top back. dealer has a 2 more bikes coming doesnt know when....this vstrom 650 should get bike of the year, based on reviews and demand :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Should I be slightly concerned about having to maintain a constant speed/rpm on a new bike for 100 miles?...
There is much debate about how to break in a new bike and most theories fall into one of two basic camps.

1. RTFM -- follow the manual, it was written by the experts. (Stay under 5000rpm for the first 600 miles...).
2. Ride it like you stole it! Espoused by many top engine builders.

I am in camp two. Whatever you do, I would avoid running at a constant rpm for extended periods. If I had to ride home on the interstate, I'd pick a low traffic time and be constantly varying my speed gear and rpm's.

I basically followed this, but waited till 600 mi for my first oil change:
Break in period

Her's another formula from a respected engine builder:
Motoman's break in secrets

·
Registered
652 Posts
Unfortunately, its the only dealer that has one in Oregon (standard version). They are surrounded by highways (obviously since they are soo far out). I figure the soonest I would be able to get out of there would be around 10am. Other option is to rent a trailer, or put it in the back of a pickup, but I don't have ramps.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Actually...we do have a 5 ton crane at work....I bet I could lift it out of a pickup with that pretty easily huh.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately, its the only dealer that has one in Oregon (standard version). They are surrounded by highways (obviously since they are soo far out). I figure the soonest I would be able to get out of there would be around 10am. Other option is to rent a trailer, or put it in the back of a pickup, but I don't have ramps.
I think any u_haul trailer should come with ramps. Otherwise, I am sure you could find a trooper or some adv inmates with ramps. Finally, you could always get 4 burly buddies to just help you lift it out of the back when you get it home. That's what I did.

These are all simple issues to solve. Don't let them prevent you from getting your bike! If there is only one in Oregon, make your deal and buy it. You can figure out how to get it home later. Oh and don't take any guff from people that say if you trailer it home you are somehow offending some conjured up moto god.:green_lol:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
If you have a vehicle with a class 3 tow hitch, U-Haul has a trailer with a ramp and a chock to hold the front wheel vertically. The ramp will accept a person astride the bike. U-Haul: Equipment specs
You might be able to rent tie downs. I own some so didn't check.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Just got my base model on the 29th. Dealer had 2 Adv models in stock and says they don't plan on getting more DL650;s at all.
There is a dealer (Lakeland or Lake Wales & Brandon) with 2011 still in stock.
And a new 2009 at one of them also. Can't figure that out.
Glad I waited for the 2012 though, it is an awesome bike.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I was just at the local central PA dealer and they had 3 standard (orange) 2012's in stock, and at a good price too $7499.
Wow! That's a great price!! Still no standard models in the pacific NW that I've seen. Good thing I grabbed the last one! Although, most everybody has the adventure models. One dealer has an adventure 1000 for less than the adventure 650. $9499 for the adventure 1000...

I checked craigslist and the dealer I got my standard from in The Dalles just got a standard model in....$8299

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine is only 2/3 adventure: the dealer had a std and an adventure. Someone bought the std and really wanted the bags, so the dealer took the bags and rack off the Adventure and put it on the orange one for the guy.

They sold me the de-bagged adventure for the price of the std (having made the upcharge on the sale of the bags to the orange-buyer), so I got the bars and laminar screen as "free" upgrades.

I guess the dealers are allowed some latitude.
I got the same deal from my local dealer. Had I known he would do that, I could have had the bike a few months earlier, but he never mentioned it when we first spoke. Ah well, water under the bridge....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Local dealer has 2 2011 bikes at good prices but no 2012s...I got the last one and he has no more coming...gave it to me at a steep discount as he had it since Spring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts