StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing my commute (25 miles, one way) in full down pour rain the last two days. This am on my way in I lost power to the instrument panel, (speedometer, tach, fuel, temp) turn signals, brake light etc.
I brought the bike into the building and a few minutes later found the burned out 15 amp fuse. I replaced it knowing it'll trip right away if it's a "wet" short. It did. I placed two large fans around the bike, set 'em on high and left it alone for a few hours. Came back, replaced the fuse again........no problem. Got lights and all.
So my question is this. Has anyone else had this "wet short"? What did you find?
I hope this turns out to be a one time shot. Chasing a come and go short is a drag.
Thanks, Neal

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have had my 650 in very heavy rain for long periods of time and no problems. I also left it outside over night in heavy rain and I just hit that starter button and it goes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've had a few shorts in my bike, but all were caused by me :oops: I've also ridden in some very heavy rains, and my bike has sat outside during at least 4 thunderstorms while I braved it in a leaky tent, and no problems starting or running. If I could keep my clumsy mits of my bike, it'd probably be extremely reliable 8)

·
Registered
317 Posts
See my thread I started about my electrical issues on my AK trip. I was blowing the same fuse and I first thought it was water related, but after many attempts to fix it, I think it's a bare wire now. The plug (or group of wires) in question though appears to be the big yellow plug mounted behind the radiator. It comes off the left control pod switch.

Let me know if your issues shows back up and if you can trace it to the same plug if it does?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Blue,
See my post in your thread.
I also pm'd ya. Hope I got to ya before you tear into your bike too far.
I now know of 2 other 04 650's with this "issue".
Neal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts