StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I purchased and rec'd my Eastern Beaver V_Strom specific switched 3 circuit accessory kit. I have installed the kit and connected the switched power source and all works well.

My situation is this. I bought this kit to power my Garmin Nuvi 550 that I purchased and routed the Garmin Power/Data USB cable (Garmin Serial Power and Data Cable for Nuvi 5xx Series and Zumo 220) and I am ready to connect the leads to a circuit on the Eastern Beaver kit.

The Garmin cable has a glass fuse on the hot wire that as best I can tell reads .750mA/250VP on one end, and 312 on the other end.

Given that inline fuse, what amp fuse should should I use on the Eastern Beaver circuit, 2, 5, 10, or 15?

Another question, since I have a fuse on the Eastern Beaver circuit do I need this inline circuit?

Thanks for some guidance for an electrical/electronics novice.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A 2A is all you need. With that, you don't need the Garmin fuse and can cut it off. You do need the box in the line closer to the connector end. It reduces the 12V bike connection to 5V to run the GPS.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that is what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure.

Would you think I should maybe try and find a 1amp fuse rather than the 2amp one just to be closer to .750? If so, where might I find one, because I have looked all over and can't locate one.

THANKS!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Don't worry about it. The fuse is to protect the wire. An overload, even in a small wire, will blow a 2A fuse well before the wire gets hot enough to damage anything else.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That is why I identified myself as and electrical/electronics novice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts