StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im putting together the gear I need to create a ABS off switch. Heaps of great info on this forum which has been very helpful.

Question I have is can I use a 30Amp fuse holder (or higher) to run a 25 amp fuse. The ABS motor is 25 amp and when creating new circuit the only fuse holder I can find at local auto shops is 30AMP or more.

Thanks.

JP

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
How well does the 25amp fuse make contact in the 30+ amp rated fuse holder? If the fuse is a tight fit, then there should be no problem in using that specific fuse holder. Just make sure that no-one ever installs a fuse of more than 25 amp in this holder or that the holder label / marking suggests any other rated fuse other than 25 amp. Also check on the guage wire from the fuse.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How well does the 25amp fuse make contact in the 30+ amp rated fuse holder? If the fuse is a tight fit, then there should be no problem in using that specific fuse holder. Just make sure that no-one ever installs a fuse of more than 25 amp in this holder or that the holder label / marking suggests any other rated fuse other than 25 amp. Also check on the guage wire from the fuse.

Thanks Gert, yes its a tight fit getting the 25A fuse into the 30A rated holder. The fuse holder has no markings on it suggesting its 30A so if I ever sell the bike and anyone looks at it they will only see the 25A fuse.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
You could also either label or engrave the holder with the 25A rating, as a future reminder when the instructions are misplaced.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Are you talking about a common blade fuse holder like shown in the picture? If so they are rated for 30a meaning you can use any fuse from 1 amp up to and including 30 amp.

Its not the fuse holder that makes the max the rating it is the wire connected to the fuse holder that makes the max 30 amp rating. .

fuse holder.jpg

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
The information above is all good but I will add the fuse is there to protect the wires and must be sized accordingly, no point putting a 25a fuse if the wire or switch that can only carry 10a or 15a

When I built my system I replaced the 25a fuse with a 10a then set about trying to load the system up enough to blow the fuse as a test, that 10a fuse is still in place and in tact.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
The information above is all good but I will add the fuse is there to protect the wires and must be sized accordingly, no point putting a 25a fuse if the wire or switch that can only carry 10a or 15a

When I built my system I replaced the 25a fuse with a 10a then set about trying to load the system up enough to blow the fuse as a test, that 10a fuse is still in place and in tact.
The fuse is there to protect any number of components (wire, switches, electronics etc.) from overcurrent. You are trying to protect the lowest rated component in any given system. If you have wire rated at 30a connected to a switch rated at 50a connected to a component rates at 5a you use no bigger than a 5a fuse and more ideally a 3a.

Component rating amperage is not component operating amperage.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I thought that was what I said ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts