StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in process of up-fitting an 06 V-Strom and need some photos and experiences of the following:

Blue Seas fuse block install, all I need is photos of where and how you hid it.

Switches for heated grips and a RS headlight cut out switch, photos of where you mounted them.

Experience, photos of ATV gauntlets mounted on a Strom w/ handguards

Thanks in advance
Allan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nomadmax:

Searching will turn up lots of stuff on your requests.

That said, this guy has some great mods IMHO:

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/v-strom/

The blue seas setup is in there.

I have a DL650 with the Hippo Hands gauntlets and symtec heaters and love them. I have not tried the atv versions but I understand the openings are not easy to get your hand into if you pull one out while moving. Not a problem with the HH's.

The one thing I wish for is that the opening through which the handlebars and cables pass could be cinched closed more that is possible now. My thumbs get a bit cold from a draft of air entering there on really cold days (22deg).

One warning: it was possible for me to melt my grips with the heaters on high inside the HH's. There's so little air flow over the grips the heaters have the opportunity to overheat the plastic/rubber bits. I rarely ever run the grips on high and often wish for a lower-low setting (I have the hi-low rocker switch).

--Kevin

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hippo Hands come from HippoHands.com. They also make great textile fork seal protectors. Fork cozies if you will. I have had them for two years and I love 'em.

Blue Sea fuse box fits in forwardmost part of the underseat storage tray on the 1000 Strom. Make a bracket of sheet metal to elevate and level the fuse box and there will be roon next to the box to mount a relay if you want the whole thing to be switched.

Check out www.rhinowerx.com for some great images. Jack used to have a great shot of how to make the bracket on his website. Doesn't seem to be posted any longer. Maybe if you asked him, he'd send it to you.

Cheers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks

I ordered the Hippo Hands and they should be on the way. I'll run down the fuse box lead asap.

Ride Safe

L

·
0 Posts
Here is mine, the two relays are mounted in the middle.

These work perfectly to connect to relays.

Fancy diagram :D

I re-typed this in the computer and laminated it. Also keep in mind that you want to be able to be able to service the system you install. Meaning being able to trace the wires back and connect/reconnect stuff. Also no grounds on the frame on the V-Strom. They all have to lead back to the battery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
fuse box schematics?

I received my fuse box so I can had some accessories today and in the future.
The first one will be 12v socket that I have received with the fuse box.
To come soon ( I hope) is heated greaps, cruise control and lights.
I would like to have the fuse box wired in a way that the box will only have power when switched, so I have read around here and a relay as to be used, I have easy acess to the accessorie wire near radiator (would prefer to leave for other future acc.
I know I can use any orange wire but the thing is, how?
how to I wire the relay?
Does anyone as any schematics to wire the fuse box?
Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
how to?

NuBiker said:
Hello

Here is some information regarding relays:

http://www.armchair.mb.ca/wings/relays/

Can I ask, where did you purchase your fusebox from?

Also, I like these relays:

http://www.wiringproducts.com/

search for "Pre-wired relay socket with relay". They took it's picture off the website, but it looks pretty weather proof.
Thanks NuBiker for the links but I have a little hard time to understand, so I ask if any one can help on how to power the new fuse box only when the ignition is on?
I don't want the neg- and pos+ from bat to go directly to the fuse box, this way there's always power on what ever goes from the fuse box so if any one can give me an easy to follow instruction it would be appreciated, other wise I just have to wait for friend to come from long vacation to ask him. :(
Thanking all in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
vstrom_ryder, if I understand the last question, you only want power to the new auxilary fuse box when the key is on. No power at all when the key is off. That is a good plan and a safe route to take. To do that all that is needed is to hook up the pos and neg to the new fuse box and install a relay in the pos wire from the battery to the fuse box. The relay itself can be powered by any switched circuit. I would use the tail lite circuit myself. The relay has minimal power draw when powered up and could be installed very easily near the fuse box. Just be sure to get proper sized fuses and a good relay. Keep on Splicing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi V_R,

Here is how I understand it:

Relay terms
#85 and #86 - these are your triggers.
example - if you were replacing your horn with a relay/horn setup, you could use the existing wires (they came from your horn button) as the triggers. To test your relay, at this point if you pushed the horn button, you could hear the relay operate.
#30 - fused lead from your positive battery terminal.
#87 that goes to the + lead on whatever (horn, etc) you are installing.

The horn, etc will have a negative lead that goes to the neg terminal of your battery.

Best Regards,
NuBiker

·
Registered
303 Posts
Kudos to Jack (rhinoWERX) who saved me a ton of time by identifying the open harness connector on the right side behind the radiator meant for heated grips. Makes a very clean connection w/o splicing. Ain't this a great group?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What model of distribution units are installed in the pics above.
I can see they are from Blue Sea Systems but can't match up what model they are. Can anyone help. Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts