StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my battery has died, I will be attacking the mess of wiring and cleaning it up. I already have a Blue Sea fuse block, but I can't seem to move it back on the "tray" because of the stupid bump. I had to push the block up to the front of the tray to get it to fit and by doing so, I've basically eliminated three connections on the block. :thumbdown:

How did you all overcome said stupid bump?

And how do you have your relays set up so that the power is only running when the bike is turned on (most of the stuff was attached to the battery due to the three "missing" connections)?

I'm using a GPS, volt meter, driving lights, USB port, Powerlet port and will be installing a flush mounted Gerbing port shortly.

Any pics or detailed write-ups would be awesome.. I'm not terribly creative when it comes to stuff like this, unlike a lot of you on here!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
516 Posts
I heated the bump with a torch. When it became soft I pushed it down with a piece of 2x4 wood block. Instant flat surface

·
Registered
516 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GAH MY EYES!!!!!! It's the dreaded Yankees sticker again! But hey, at least both our teams are playing golf right now. :furious:

I'm seeing you've the two relays (possibly a third in the upper right corner?). What are the two black ones being used for?

And where'd you get the fancy wiring from the battery leads?

I remember attaching some of the leads of my farkels to the block, but they weren't turning on when then key was on. I'll give it another shot.

·
Registered
516 Posts
A Philly Fan I take it ? They beat the hell out of the Mets & I like that.
All supplies are from the Radio shack & depot. I have the headlight on switched power. ( One) The load on the ground is too high for that skinny wire that grounds both headlights. Turning one headlight off hakes 55 W of power available for your heated items. I also changed the rear tailight to an all led light. The wee is a great bike with a marginal stator. I save juice wherever I can. With the long term use of my 05 Wee that I sold to buy the new one the only issues I had with that bike were electrical. So I went to town on this new one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A Philly Fan I take it ? They beat the hell out of the Mets & I like that.
Absolutely correct! More Phillies than anything else. The Eagles are a freakin' joke with Reid and I've been boycotting them for years.

What gauge are you using for that fancy wiring?

Dumb question that I probably know the answer to - if I only want the electronics to operate when the key is turned on, do I need a relay for each piece?

I'm still learning about the electrical aspect of motorcycles, so forgive me..

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Back when I had a Blue Seas fuse block in the tray, I screwed it to some PVC blocks and secured the blocks to the tray with 3M dual lock. It's a bit like Velcro but all plastic, no fuzz. The blocks were made from 3/4" square stock from Home Depot. The rear center block was relieved to pass over the hump.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back when I had a Blue Seas fuse block in the tray, I screwed it to some PVC blocks and secured the blocks to the tray with 3M dual lock. It's a bit like Velcro but all plastic, no fuzz. The blocks were made from 3/4" square stock from Home Depot. The rear center block was relieved to pass over the hump.

Thanks, grey! What's your setup now? I know exactly the kind of Velcro you're talking about. It's used on my EZ-Pass.. Stuff is awesome!

·
38,104 Posts
Thanks, grey! What's your setup now? I know exactly the kind of Velcro you're talking about. It's used on my EZ-Pass.. Stuff is awesome!
Now I have an Eastern Beaver PC-8 under the left cowling cover. It's smaller with 8 connections including two on when the ignition is off and frees up the under seat tray. I've never blown a fuse so was willing to make access difficult to gain the tray space. Also, with most accessories up front, the wiring runs are shorter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not overly concerned with the tray space. I'm kind of annoyed with Suzuki for the bump there, though. What's the point of it? Did the engineers sit around and say, "we're going to annoy the living crap out of the V-Strom riders?"

Anyway, are you only using a relay for the block? If so, I assume the rest of your components are simply wired into the block and that turning the key off essentially shuts off the fuse block (and the attached components)? I can't imagine there's anything on the bike (for me anyway) that I'd want to have unswitched. I've a relay for the Stebel, but I can just move the wires connected to the battery to the block itself. I'll just have the two relays then (one for the block and one for the Stebel).

I'm trying to familiarize myself with relays and how they work, but I'm having some trouble comprehending.

·
38,104 Posts
A relay is just a switch operated by an electromagnet. Basically, is allows a light duty switch and wiring to run the relay while the heavy duty relay contacts and wiring handle the heavy load. Here is a single pole double throw SPDT relay. When the electromagnet between 85 and 86 gets power, it connects all devices wired to 30 to the power at 87. An SPST relay doesn't have the 87a pole that connects with the relay off. Blue wires carry a light load and red wires carry a heavy load. It's really a bad diagram for the SPDT relay. The battery should go to 30, devices needing power with the relay on to 87 and with the relay off to 87a.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am still in the process of finishing my install, but I put my homemade fuse block all the way in the back to keep it easy to get to, but save tray space.

I say its easy to get to cause its mounted with velcro and will pull out for easy access.

I guess I'll see if I end up regretting the placement. I'd rather have a central location on the bike, but I decided I didn't want to give up the tray space either, so not many options at that point.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've got a PC8 under the seat, and have not bothered to fasten it down. It sits on top of the bump. The stiffness of the wires going into it from either side holds it in place just fine.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I've a relay for the Stebel, but I can just move the wires connected to the battery to the block itself. I'll just have the two relays then (one for the block and one for the Stebel).
The horn plus a high draw like heated clothing might be too much current for the main supply fuse for your fuse panel. Consider leaving the horn wired to the battery. (Hey, add another relay so the heated gear cuts out when the horn is energized.....:mrgreen:)

·
38,104 Posts
I have my GPS and my Stebel leads on unswitched terminals of an Eastern Beaver PC8. The GPS doesn't shut down and have to reacquire when I get gas and I take it off whenever I leave the bike. The unswitched terminals have their own 30A fused 10ga wire to the battery like the unswitched terminals do so the horn and heated gear don't share a fuse or a wire except the 10ga ground wire which can handle the load of the whole bike if it needed to.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In thinking about how to set everything up, my plan is as follows:

Unless I can find an switched & unswitched block from a brick & mortar, I'll just stick with the Blue Sea I currently have. I'll finagle that stupid bump down and will remount the block.

I'll wire the the voltmeter (with a switch attached) & GPS to the battery, since greywolf has an excellent point about the GPS needing to reacquire the signal.

I'll wire a relay for the fuse block, attached the necessary leads to the battery. This will basically result in having 4 things attached to the battery posts: the actual battery leads, the fuse block/relay, the GPS and the volt meter.

The rest of my stuff (driving lights, USB charger, powerlet port & heated geawr port) will just be attached to the fuse block.

Can anyone forsee potential problems with this setup?

·
Registered
516 Posts
The as you called fancy wire is Monster Cable. Have you melted and crushed the bump down yet? It's easy to do melt it a little & push down on it. You will get the feel for the amount its melting as you go.

·
Registered
516 Posts
@ GW in with this mess I even took the time on the new bike to make that wiring harness for the headlight w/ switched power to turn 1 light off & added the separate ground as you recommended when I had the problem with my 05 wee. Thank you for that tip.
Bill

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The as you called fancy wire is Monster Cable. Have you melted and crushed the bump down yet? It's easy to do melt it a little & push down on it. You will get the feel for the amount its melting as you go.
I haven't yet.. I'll be working on that this weekend, provided the new battery arrives. I'll just break out the heat gun and murder the thing. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts