StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
fuse #3 blown again,.....

My previous problem was simple, #3 blown. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

It was barely blown, just a little nick out (why I missed it at first).

Today, similar situation; went for a quick pass, hit 100% throttle, Blown fuse #3. But this time it was really blown. Replaced it with a 15 amp fuse (all I had), and as soon as I turned the key to "on" it blew again. Disconnected the battery, tried again, reconnected the batt., same result, blew fuse #3 as soon as the key turned.

Pretty sure the fuel pump is the issue. The question is; what to do about it?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I doubt a component is the issue. Most likely you have a red wire with a white stripe worn through and rubbing on a frame part if the bike is in stock condition. Has any non stock wiring been installed? That would be the first place to check. Some 2006 Wees has the wiring harness routed wrongly under the left side painted plastic body panel beneath the seat. The harness was outside the channel meant for it and it would rub on a frame part.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anytime that you blow a fuse, it blows for a reason, if you do not find and fix that reason, you will have the problem again! By just replacing a fuse and riding some more, you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the problem.

I gave a good look at all the electric wiring and was happy to see it all in good condition, no shorts or wear.

unplugged the fuel pump and tested for continuity, sure enough, a closed circuit. When I pulled the pump out there was a washer stuck on the terminals...

Don't have a clue as to how it got there..... hopefully it doesn't belong in there...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Wow, good find! Safe to say no one would have expected that.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
That may be the strangest thing I've ever seen to cause a short. Good find.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What other indications let you know it was the fuel pump? You posted in your first post you thought it was the pump. When the bike dies, fuel isn't pumping anyways, so definitely wouldn't have been my first guess either....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts