StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I took a flight to go get a new (to me) vstrom and was sitting here wondering who here had done the same and the furthest traveled?

For me, it was a flight to Virginia and right at 950 mile ride home in a little over a day.

·
Registered
710 Posts
For me, it was a flight to Virginia and right at 950 mile ride home in a little over a day.
I can't compete with that, but it was still a thrill. I found my bike, brand new and for a decent price, in Montreal, 200 Km (120 miles) away. My son drove me there in his car and we returned with the bike on his trailer (the bike's only time on a trailer).

Going to Montreal is never a hardship - at least two restaurants there can still make a decent smoked meat sandwich.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I once took a bus from Minneapolis to Chicago to get on a plane flying to Philadelphia. I bought the bike in Philadelphia, went up to Amherst, MA, and then rode back to Minneapolis.

It was my first overnight trip on a bike. I did it solo too. The bike was a 98 Triumph Trophy 900, and it had fueling issues numerous times on the way back.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Once I drove to Miami and once to Chicago.

Each trip was about 800 miles each way from North Carolina.

·
Registered
627 Posts

For a showroom mint 2005 FZ1 I bought in 2007. 1338 mile round trip in 23 hours, including buying/installing a new battery and doing all the DMV work (title and plates). I slept for 11 hours straight after getting home, just exhausted.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not for a bike, but I rode from San Antonio to El Paso (550 miles each way) last summer to pick up a GPS mount from a fellow inmate. Texas is a big state. Left the house at 6:00 am and I was back home at 10:30 pm, for a little over 16 hrs total. Got my Iron Butt in the process. But it's almost like cheating cuz it's interstate 10 the whole way, no major (and only a few minor) towns in between, and the speed limit is 80 mph for 90% of it. I was only in El Paso for about 45 minutes.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
I wanted a Kawasaki Concours... badly! I finally scrapped together the cash and found a deal on a '93 Concours in Wenatchee, 150 miles away over a nice mountain pass (hwy 2 in WA).

I had a friend drive over with me and she drove my truck home.

I put alot of troublefree miles on her, but she was hot, heavy, and had a poor suspension. Sold her after a few years and bought the Vee which was lighter, more powerful, better brakes, and a hell alot more fun.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
For me, the furthest I have gone to buy a bike was from Arizona to Hawaii. Now granted, the Marine Corps transferred me and the trip involved me selling my old bike in Arizona and buying a new to me bike in Hawaii. :thumbup::yikes::yesnod:

·
Registered
511 Posts
In 1999 I took a Greyhound from Chicago to Philly to buy a new demo model 99 Royal Star Venture. I picked up the bike at 2:00pm and started riding home. Including a 5 hour stop over at a motel I was home by 2:00pm the next day. It was about 850 miles. It was one of the most memorable trips I've ever taken.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I drove from Corpus Christi Tx to Russellvile AK, 750 miles to pick up my FJR1300. When I traded my Vee for my Wee, I rode 530 mile to Baton Rouge.

·
Registered
697 Posts
24 hours of driving to pick up my Yamaha GTS-1000 back in 2010. Drove to Bucharest, Romania from Wiesbaden, Germany for it. Quite an interesting trip.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Flew to South Australia to pick up my wee and ride home 670km
Flew to Sydney to pick up my wife's car 850km
Driving 900 tomorrow to pick up a camper trailer and 900 km home Saturday.

Looks a bit silly on paper, but saved thousands on each deal!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tiger

My longest was a bike purchased in NM. I live in OH.

I flew from Columbus OH to Vegas, rented a car, drove to the Grand Canyon to camp, then to Albuquerque NM. I met up with the bike owner, we spent a day riding in the mountains, and then I headed back to OH. All in, after flying out there, and driving about 600 miles in the car, I rode the bike about 1550 miles back to OH. The bike was a '98 Triumph Tiger with a cranky starter that crapped out on the way. I had to keep the bike running all day, and each night had to find a hotel with a hot tub, nearby food, and a hill. Great adventure! :hurray:

Ride safe...:thumbup:
Dave

·
Registered
705 Posts

For a showroom mint 2005 FZ1 I bought in 2007. 1338 mile round trip in 23 hours, including buying/installing a new battery and doing all the DMV work (title and plates). I slept for 11 hours straight after getting home, just exhausted.
Saw your Mid-Ohio note. Wonder what the story there was. My experience with them two weeks ago on the phone:

Me: Saw you had a bike for sale on an Internet ad.
Them: Yep.
Me: Does it have ABS?
Them: Don't know.
Me: Can you check?
Them: Nope.
Me: Not interested in a sale?
Them. Eating.

Alrighty then.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts