StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted on the Wee-specific forum about doing a TB synch using the hideously expensive Suzuki SDS tool, which is essentially a computer hook-up with software that monitors engine parameters, etc., and is necessary for '07-up computer-controlled throttle body adjustments. I left out an important piece of information in that post, and i'm putting it here because I imagine (but don't know for sure) that '07-up Vees also have the "hidden" front air adjustment screw.

The question, of course, is how to get to that screw without paying for or borrowing a very expensive Motion Pro angle screwdriver or the probably-even-more-expensive Suzuki special tool. Having fattened Mother Suzuki's purse already, I was reluctant to throw more money that way, so devised my own from a piece of speedo cable in the parts bin. I cut it down to length, stripped off the outer sheathing to make it thinner, and fitted a little piece of steel blade (cut from a pair of tweezers) into the end as well as a flattened washer on the cable to make it easier to turn.

this is what it looks like:

and what it looks like deployed into the right-side innards of the bike:

Yes, it requires the dexterity of your average neurosurgeon to get it place on the screw head correctly, but:
a) it works; and
b) it was cheap -- free, in fact

Since I have this stuff now I'd be glad to let anyone (although the only likely takers will be from the greater Sacramento area) who wants to do their own TB synch to come up to my garage in Placerville and use it under my "expert":mrgreen: supervision. And if anyone is able and/or willing to make a contribution to the MikeB Tool Fund it would be welcome but by no means necessary.

·
Registered
213 Posts
While SDS tool might or might not worth the money paid, I am not exactly getting what screw(s) is(are) so hard to get to, that you need a special tool?

Having it done for a dozen of times I do not recall I used anything special, but a special screwdriver bit for the bolt head on throttle position sensor.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I am not exactly getting what screw(s) is(are) so hard to get to, that you need a special tool?
The rear throttle body air screw is pretty close to a propped tank for access without a special screwdriver. The front one is even closer to the tank.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry, I am not trying to upset anyone, but it seems some people invent problems were there is not any. The rear cylinder is very much accessible with a bare hand with a flat screwdriver bit in it. The front one is with a long thin screwdriver, providing the radiator has been dropped from its mounts.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A carb synch screwdriver is worth it to me to keep from burning my hand on a hot engine and radiator. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While SDS tool might or might not worth the money paid, I am not exactly getting what screw(s) is(are) so hard to get to, that you need a special tool?

Having it done for a dozen of times I do not recall I used anything special, but a special screwdriver bit for the bolt head on throttle position sensor.
What year is your bike? Pre-'07 bikes don't need either the SDS tool or a special screwdriver since the TBs are synched the old-fashioned way using the mechanical linkage which is accessible for normal mortals. Pre-'07s even get to remove the airbox, which -- if we could do it -- would make the whole thing vastly easier.

I considered lowering the radiator from its mounts, but never having seen it recommended before thought that there must be some reason why it's not SOP. So much for bold experimentation.:mrgreen:

Anyway, my little tool works OK so I'm happy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What year is your bike? Pre-'07 bikes don't need either the SDS tool or a special screwdriver since the TBs are synched the old-fashioned way using the mechanical linkage which is accessible for normal mortals. Pre-'07s even get to remove the airbox, which -- if we could do it -- would make the whole thing vastly easier.

I considered lowering the radiator from its mounts, but never having seen it recommended before thought that there must be some reason why it's not SOP. So much for bold experimentation.:mrgreen:

I don't know anything about the ins and outs of throttle body synching, but I thought your little tool was very clever!:hurray:

·
Registered
213 Posts

Mine is 07, so yes, to do it by the book I need that SDS. There was a thread here discussing on how to go without it. So yes, if I had a chance, I would use the SDS to check what the adjustments without actually adjust. For the bolts, once again, your creativity has to be praised.

As for necessity, I do not smoke, nor drink heavily enough to get my hands scratched or burned doing this job without any special tools Suzuki or home brewed.
Radiator is held by 2 bolts and one pin, to release them takes 2 minutes, after that the front cylinder is for your service, the rear, again, has enough space between lifted tank and body to get your left hand in with a short bit, you kneeling on the right side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts