StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased my first street bike, haven't ridden since I was 12, I'm 41 now. Well, just bought a 2008 Vstrom dl650 with abs but it does have around 48k miles on it already and the guy I bought it from gave me a good deal at 3k but I also had to wait for him to take it on a trip and then he flew out of the state after I bought it....hehe! My issue is it seems like the chain makes some noises when I hit the throttle as well as another noice under the tank, not sure if its just the shocks making the noise or the front sprocket area. I'm a newbie not to mention I've never even changed oil in a car before if you get my drift. Also notice scraping noises when I walk the bike and turn the bars to the right, noise is coming from the front tires, possibly the brakes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
There is a clunk in the forks when you hit a bump - ignore it. Check the alignment of the chain, the condition (any kinking, lots of rust, etc.?), condition of the sprockets (hooking, worn teeth, etc.). Scraping noise could be pads dragging - are the rotors scored at all? It shoud do it regardless of whether the bars are turned or not though.

I just looked at the photos you posted - the bike looks in very good shape from the 2 pics.

Good luck and congratulations!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking over the previous owners records he had the chain and sprocket replaced about 16k miles ago. Maybe I should just have them replaced. Hey, at least the previous owner put brand new tires on it for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to ride the bike today, kinda worried about the noises I hear when I hit the gas and lay off the gas. Chain must be out of whack. Been real busy lately but I want to put some time in on the bike. Will be taking a course next month too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My issue is it seems like the chain makes some noises when I hit the throttle as well as another noice under the tank, not sure if its just the shocks making the noise or the front sprocket area.
this noise under the tank could be your fuel pump . Aftermarket sprocket without rubber cushon can make some noise but that is normal.:thumbup: New chain and sprockets may be good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts