StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new Wee yesterday and want some protection on it ASAP. I live on a gravel road, so light "sandblasting" and small rocks will be a daily issue. But for that type of riding any plate would do. My bigger concern is when I head into the National Forest and ride Forest Service roads. I don't intend to get in the really nasty stuff, but even our FS roads have plenty of big, loose rocks. I'm really concerned about them "kicking up" and slamming my oil filter/exhaust/cases. So, I'm actually looking for something fairly heavy duty, but still want it to look good...and be a reasonable cost. I'll also be adding engine guards (planning on Givis) about the same time.

I've been searching and reading the various threads on them, but many reviews seem to be mixed, and most are a little old. I'm wondering if there are any new products out or more experience with the existing ones.

I really like the looks of the Weld86 ones about the best of what I've seen. But $300+ is a bit more than I want to spend. Would really like to be <$200. I'm concerned the Givi one won't be tough enough. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, I meant the Altrider plate was the one I liked at >$300. Is there any way to edit a post?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Happy Trails one?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Touratech

I have the Touratech and so far so good. Easy to install, very sturdy, tight tolerance, easy to remove for oil change, not too expensive (around $240).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Weld 86

Bought this plate a few weeks ago, $139 plus $18 shipping, $157 total. Easy to install -- 15 minutes maybe -- just 2 bolts. Should provide adequate protection for the oil filter and header from small rocks, etc. Haven't detected any changes in performance or vibrations since the installation. There are no doubt plates offering more protection, but I thought the Weld 86 was a good price / protection compromise. Looks fine on the bike.

Although there's a hole through the plate for draining the oil, it would not be a problem to remove the plate for oil changes. When I need my next oil change, I'll see how it goes without removing the plate. The cleanup hassle will determine whether the plate would come off for future oil changes.

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just picked up my new Wee yesterday and want some protection on it ASAP. I live on a gravel road, so light "sandblasting" and small rocks will be a daily issue. But for that type of riding any plate would do. My bigger concern is when I head into the National Forest and ride Forest Service roads. I don't intend to get in the really nasty stuff, but even our FS roads have plenty of big, loose rocks. I'm really concerned about them "kicking up" and slamming my oil filter/exhaust/cases. So, I'm actually looking for something fairly heavy duty, but still want it to look good...and be a reasonable cost. I'll also be adding engine guards (planning on Givis) about the same time.

I've been searching and reading the various threads on them, but many reviews seem to be mixed, and most are a little old. I'm wondering if there are any new products out or more experience with the existing ones.

I really like the looks of the Weld86 ones about the best of what I've seen. But $300+ is a bit more than I want to spend. Would really like to be <$200. I'm concerned the Givi one won't be tough enough. Any input is appreciated.
I have a Weld 86 plate packed and ready to ship if you're interested. $115 including shipping. Pics can be found in the for sale section.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the Adventuremotostuff skid plate and it looks great and could withstand a small nuclear blast. This thing is solid!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why Not Get The Givi?

If you're getting Givi Crash bars, why not get the Givi Plate? You could also get the Kappa bars there which are the same as the Givi for a little less and fit with the plate. There's a good write up on the plate here. I don't have either yet, but that's the plan for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with the Enduro Guardian. There were a couple great threads about it over on ADV Rider. I like that it's long and wide enough to offer a lot of protection and looks good.

With regard to the Givi skid-I understand it's pretty thin material. In all honesty, it would probably be fine for me. I can just picture a plate-size rock kicking up and jamming into the front of it and crumpling it and everything behind it, not a risk I want to take.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ADV moto unfinished- best strongest bracketry non engine mounted skid plate- the ultimate grinding plate to traverse logs, curbs, boulders..I make custom 4wd skid plates and could not design and make this for the 230 they ask... can lift it with a floor jack in 5 seconds...

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Unless u are rock hoping, I think u would be fine with givi. I paid $40 for a local aluminium welder to weld up all the seam along where it has been riveted. There is a lot more flickabilty between 2 kg and 5+kg heavy skid plate. I used to have an AMS version on my old wee- u could easily tell when it's on or off

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hyde racing
:iagree:

I ride gravel and snowmobile trails all the time and it works for me! I never ever tried to bash logs or rocks though...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Bought this plate a few weeks ago, $139 plus $18 shipping, $157 total. Easy to install -- 15 minutes maybe -- just 2 bolts. Should provide adequate protection for the oil filter and header from small rocks, etc. Haven't detected any changes in performance or vibrations since the installation. There are no doubt plates offering more protection, but I thought the Weld 86 was a good price / protection compromise. Looks fine on the bike.

Although there's a hole through the plate for draining the oil, it would not be a problem to remove the plate for oil changes. When I need my next oil change, I'll see how it goes without removing the plate. The cleanup hassle will determine whether the plate would come off for future oil changes.
I am happy with the Weld 86. Looks good and well built. Only negative for me is engine and drive train sound reflection/amplification -- not bad but noticeable. Some folks may not like its asymmetrical design.

For oil changes: I made a small funnel from the top of a plastic soda or water bottle to go from the drain plug into the hole, but then you have to deal with the filter. Next change I will try to fashion some aluminum foil to funnel all the oil to the back of the skid plate. Cleaning oil off the plate probably takes more time than just removing it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts