StromTrooper banner

Fully Custom Panniers

9K views 73 replies 14 participants last post by  notacop 
#1 ·
First time posting, so some background first: I rode motocross for a couple of years before a scare put me off. My dad bought a VStrom in 2009 that I have stolen from him as he's moved to an R1200GS. I'm an engineer that loves tinkering and designing, hence the following questions.

I have a 2004 DL650 with Givi Monokey E21 saddlebags. I don't like the look and the volume is pretty limited, so I was looking at the Tusk Panniers for my DL650 and realized there was no good way of mounting them in a way that was a proper quick-release. It all involved tools from the inside. I started figuring out a quick-release mount for the Tusks when I realized the Tusks were not much more than bent and welded sheet metal. Where I work does nothing BUT metal work, including bent&welded sheet metal, including heavy-duty priming and painting. I started designing some fully-custom metal panniers (including quick release mounts for the Monokey racks) and am just about ready to start cutting and folding...but I had some questions.

I've done searches and haven't found anything, so I'll ask here. Has anybody built their own fully-custom hard panniers? Has anyone come up with a properly clever quick-release method for something like the Tusk panniers? I can't imagine I'm alone.

#2 ·
I didn't design from the ground up but mounting any box on an existing frame has the same concerns. By bending some flat strap I made hangers that supports the box on the lower frame rail. The top can be disconnected with a threaded knob or a clevis pin. I did both to one side to see which I preferred and I prefer leaving the bags on the bike so I don't mess with it.

#3 ·
My friend a street rod builder as a hobby.He is the smaller guy under the bike.He has made a good nuber of the boxes like the ones on this 1000 on ourAlaska trip.He starts with a full sheet of aluminum,cuts ,puts aides in brake to bend to what he wants and welds up at needed places.Lids on most he puts a latch on each end a reck on top.They use them to hold stuff at camp sites when no tables in the lots of no real camp grounds we are at.My friend that like me has a 2011 We went for hing on one end as we doint like idea of a fall off in road if you for get to latch one or both ends.Most paint them like this one but some of us leave them natural and spray clear over that.Mine are five years old now and bike has 56,000.Boxes are fine.One set has been to Alaska three times and no repairs and still no leaks.

#7 ·
Awesome! Y'all are making me thinking that this is totally realistic.

My current plan, I think, is 14ga steel. Total weight of about 20lbs per box. Splurging for Alu would be about half that weight but I can get steel drops for free at work.....so I'm leaning towards steel. I've got the look I want but I'm still not sure what lid-style I want for the top case. My plan is quick-mounts on the side cases and permanently mounting the topcase. However, my current plan for the lid for the side cases is fine but not as convenient as I want for a topcase. I've gotten spoiled with my dad's topcase as being storage for things I need quick access to: drinks, wallet, etc.

I can post some renderings of the first attempt if anybody here is interested.

#9 ·
Actually, I know it's not what you meant, but it's a pretty good idea to go with a Pelican-style case for the top case. That'd solve a lot of my issues with my current topcase design.

Now I'm looking for pictures of bikes with a combination of Alu sidecases and plastic topcases.

#10 ·
if it is photos you are seeking, head over to the Iron Butt Rally page at Iron Butt Association - "Worlds Toughest Riders". Scroll down and click on the photo link on the right column. The IBR just started Monday morning with 107 bikes (I think) and beginning about page 4 of the photos they snapped a shot of each bike under way. You'll see their set ups and gather many ideas. Yeah, OK, no V-Stroms photographed but loads of good ideas.

#15 ·
if it is photos you are seeking, head over to the Iron Butt Rally page at Iron Butt Association - "Worlds Toughest Riders". Scroll down and click on the photo link on the right column. The IBR just started Monday morning with 107 bikes (I think) and beginning about page 4 of the photos they snapped a shot of each bike under way. You'll see their set ups and gather many ideas. Yeah, OK, no V-Stroms photographed but loads of good ideas.
Thanks for the link. I found some pictures of what I was looking for on Google and even more on the link you provided. I think 2xMetal cases and a Pelican-style plastic case on top looks pretty good and solves a lot of my design dilemmas. My sidecases are simple enough that I actually believe I can do this and get something more very useable on the first attempt.

#11 ·
Lots of options but, for what it's worth, Givi racks will allow a number of different cases to be mounted with no modifications. Any Monokey case should fit the racks you have already. They are lightweight, waterproof and readily available on the used market (except for the long-running favorite 36 liter...those suckers are harder to find than weed at a border crossing!)
The weight is definitely something to think about as steel will reduce your comfortable carry loads....I still use my 22L cruiser Givi's and they weigh in at 10 pounds--loaded!
YMMV

Reactions: victorzamora
#14 ·
I've looked around, and the 36L cases are the ones I like that fit the Monokey racks. They're super expensive new and hens-teeth rare used (like you alluded to). Also, they're not quick-release (as far as I can tell) and are meant to be used with liners...something I'm trying to avoid.

I've looked but haven't found any non-Givi cases compatible with the Monokey system (not that I'd expect there to be). Unfortunately, my favorite Givi panniers (by looks alone, of course) are the Trekker Dolomiti 37L cases but they're a) crazy expensive and b) only compatible with the Cam-style racks.

#12 ·
" Total weight of about 20lbs per box"

The MCM plastic boxes weigh in at 12.5 lbs according to their page. Multicomp 22" Black Tactical Weatherproof Equipment Case | 22-24120 (2224120) | Multicomp
Probably comparable to most of the plastic side cases used.
Why you want to add more in the use of steel construction is counter intuitive. All the talk about making the bike lighter and then off set it with heavy panniers makes no sense, at least to me.

#13 ·
" Total weight of about 20lbs per box"

The MCM plastic boxes weigh in at 12.5 lbs according to their page. Probably comparable to most of the plastic side cases used.
Why you want to add more in the use of steel construction is counter intuitive. All the talk about making the bike lighter and then off set it with heavy panniers makes no sense, at least to me.
I know the steel is heavy, which is the problem with it. The benefit is that the base material would be free. I could build both sidecases, waterproofed, quick-release mounts, handles, all SS hardware, and have them blasted, primed, and painted for less than the cost of one of those MCM plastic boxes sans mounting hardware. If I pay up for Alu (which I may do for a v2 if these work well or have some issues I know I can fix), it'd still cost less per case than the MCM plastic boxes....and they'd be ~10lbs each, less than the MCM plastic boxes. Also, I'm not one pushing to make the bike lighter. Weight savings are great but aren't important to me.

Most importantly: My wife and I like the look of metal better (and isn't looking good what this is all about?)

#18 ·
Most of the plastic boxes do have a lot of surface irregularities. Probably for added strength. Completely ruins the surface for putting stickers of all the places one visits on the big ADV tours.
Gotta prove you were in Chicken AK, eh! Or have room for the "I love BS", Borrego Springs.

#19 ·
old guys

Us old guys are proud of our far as you can go by road in N.A. trip. DeadHore,dirty,cold,not nice,but lots of :surprise:.The look we get from some of the decked out GS1200A riders at meets that we did it on a little DL650 with camp gear and no chase. Plus in a few years the pics at the home will impress me if I forget about it.:grin2:

#48 ·
I have these panniers and top box and really like them. They are solid, well-made and definitely do the job. Some small things: locking them is a pain as you have to use two locks per side; the supplied latches do not have lock nuts; the mounting eyebolts could really use more/larger fender washers.

But those are little quibbles. I am very happy with my luggage!

#21 ·
I have attached screenshots of the CAD models Should give a good idea of my plan. The only thing that's VERY likely to change is the top bracket. I recently found out that I can remove bolts from the Givi Monokey rack and will be trying to incorporate that into the plan. My idea is to use one of the bolts as an alignment stud and only wingnut the rearmost one, where I have clearance between the bike and the mount to fit my oversized hand.

Attachments

#22 ·
cheap

Since you seem to be good with making things.Sure you have seen the round drain pipe holder with end cap on one end and spin off cab on back end.Saw and glue all you need.Being the total red neck I am I took two plastic hand wipe containers with screw on lids from the school bus fueling station trash and put them in the space on left side between box and frame.Just used plastic zip ties to hold on.Now at 56,000 still tight and no cracks and water proof .:grin2: They hold a lot.

#26 ·
Yeah, that's the next step. Zip ties were just there for trial fit purposes. I didn't know how much I was going to like it.

I think I should've gone with 4in PVC instead but I can likely stack another one in there. It all depends on what I decide to use it for.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Instead of the heavy sewer plastic pip I went with 4" white drain pipe. Lightweight and easy to work with and a lot less expensive. The end caps were about a buck apiece. I pop riveted the bottom and put a handle and a hasp on the top to make it lockable.
I did paint the finished article black.
I can easily work my pouch of tools into the opening and have a length of tubing for gas transfer in there too.

NVD, your link goes to some spine thing?

#30 ·
When you say 4" white drain pipe, do you mean regular Schedule 40 PVC, or something else? Mine is out of 3" Diameter Schedule40 PVC, 3"ID and 3.5"OD. Certainly overbuilt, and I could've certainly fit a 4" PVC Sch40 pipe in there. I went with that style cap for simplicity of removal, cost like $5. It's originally red, but everything got a few coats of black Krylon.

#29 · (Edited)
Not to steer you wrong, and Im probably gonna catch flak for this,but.. let me tell you my experiences. I have the 36L and 21L's also. I tell you the truth I NEVER use the 36's. The 21's with a 36 top box and a dry duffle behind me is more than enough for 2 weeks of riding/camping 1up. Also the 21's are very durable, light weight and most importantly narrower! They are safer, IMHO, in a get off too. Ive heard more than a few stories of guys being taken out by their angular metal bags with SHARP edges. A buddy of mine broke his leg in multiple places on the IDBDR when his steel ammo box's crushed his leg.I believe plastic bags, especially the pliable "rubbermade esque" Givi 21's are safer. I also much prefer the top loading aspect of the 21's vs the 36's. Just my 2c!

#31 ·
The crash aspect is something I've heard more than a few times, and I'm sure it's a thing...I'm just not sure how frequent it is. Really, the reason for going with the custom ones I've design is for looks (one of, if not THE, most important aspect in all of our lives, amiright?) while gaining some storage volume. I don't have a topcase or a drybag that I've strapped to the bike....so maybe those alone would fix my storage capacity issues. Maybe, also, I should design these for a narrow-pattern ~30L instead of their current ~36L(ish) design. I've attached one quick conceptual body. Overall dimensions are 18x13x7.5 as opposed to the previous 18x14x9. NarrowPattern (what I'm calling it) volume is near enough 28L, Standard volume is 36L.

Attachments

#35 ·
"When you say 4" white drain pipe"
3000 ADS/Hancor triple wall hdpe solid 4" id and then some crap about what factory and that it was made on Shift 1 on 05.26 2010.
Corrugated white plastic pipe. Probably from Home Depot.
Like I said, light weight and inexpensive, at least in 2010 dollars.
The end caps cost about a buck and the kitchen handle I put on the top cap cost about a buck. The hasp and lock cost a bit more.
i got a set of 4 same key locks to do the saddle bags, top box and tool tube.
You can make this tube any length to fit your particular bag mount.
Oh the tube stock came in a 10 foot length so you can make plenty many tool tubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.