StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my bike from the dealer with what I thought was a half a tank of gas in it (two bars out of 4 on the fuel indicator), and filled it up after riding it about 75 miles (down to last bar but not yet blinking). Well yesterday, the last bar and the "low fuel" indicator started blinking, so I filled it up again. It was a lot sooner than I expected since the odometer was barely past 200 miles, and the trip computer said I'd been gettting around 44 mpg in mixed city and highway riding. Sure enough I only put in about 2.6 gallons into the bike. :confused:

When I got home I checked the manual and it says the fuel indicator will blink the last bar at the 10L mark, where the tank holds 20 liters. Why the heck would they make the last bar and low fuel indicator come on at the HALFWAY point? I would have thought a "low fuel warning" would come on with about 1 gallon to go - maybe when down to 1 Imp Gallon, or 5L out of 20L, but not 10/20!

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I got my bike from the dealer with what I thought was a half a tank of gas in it (two bars out of 4 on the fuel indicator), and filled it up after riding it about 75 miles (down to last bar but not yet blinking). Well yesterday, the last bar and the "low fuel" indicator started blinking, so I filled it up again. It was a lot sooner than I expected since the odometer was barely past 200 miles, and the trip computer said I'd been gettting around 44 mpg in mixed city and highway riding. Sure enough I only put in about 2.6 gallons into the bike. :confused:

When I got home I checked the manual and it says the fuel indicator will blink the last bar at the 10L mark, where the tank holds 20 liters. Why the heck would they make the last bar and low fuel indicator come on at the HALFWAY point? I would have thought a "low fuel warning" would come on with about 1 gallon to go - maybe when down to 1 Imp Gallon, or 5L out of 20L, but not 10/20!
And I was just about to trade my K4 in for a new K12, but now the deal is off

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Just wait until you have some miles on it and the 'full' bar becomes intermittent like on the older bikes. Then you'll really have faith in your fuel gauge.
Those fuel computers can lead you down the path of pushing your bike to the fuel station. Many tales of woe are posted on other sites about believing the bike still has X-miles to go before empty. :furious:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Does the 12 model have a two stage fuel light like all the previous SV's, DL's all had? I know on the 02-11 DL models, when you hit the last bar, you have aprox 1.2gals left and the little fuel indicator starts blinking. Then at .7gals remaining, both the bar and the fuel symbol blink. That gives you about 50-75 miles on reserve which is pretty good.

If we changed this over to liters that's about 4.5L remaining at the first light and 2.6L at the 2nd light.

That does seem crazy if the light starts blinking at 10L of fuel left? That is over 2.64gals of fuel left.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well a fuel gauge sensor that was off in some way is one thing... One that's explicitly designed and specified in the user manual as coming on at the halfway mark on a "touring/adventure bike" is another!

Was hoping one of our Aussie or UK riders who've had the bike longer could chime in and tell me how they deal with it. Or maybe the fuel gauge starts going the other way or something. Like at the halfway point, it starts blinking and the bars start going "up" towards 100% empty. That would actually be useful.

·
Registered
317 Posts
How many miles had you gone on that 2.6gals? Obviously less than the 200 miles on the odometer or you would be getting over 76mpg.

BTW, fuel bars are rarely linear. I know on my 09, I can usually go over 100 miles before that first bar disappears, but then the next bar disappears around 50 miles after that.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Not sure what part of the manual you are reading from...but the manual says this:

"The fuel meter indicates the amount of fuel remaining in the fuel tank. The fuel meter displays all 5 segments when the fuel tank is full. The mark blinks when the fuel level drops below 4.5 L (4.8 US qts). The mark and segment blink when the fuel drops below 2.5 L (2.6 US qts)."

Thats on page 3-17 of the manual. If you have a blinking light at half a tank....I think you have a problem with your gauge.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the 12 model have a two stage fuel light like all the previous SV's, DL's all had? I know on the 02-11 DL models, when you hit the last bar, you have aprox 1.2gals left and the little fuel indicator starts blinking. Then at .7gals remaining, both the bar and the fuel symbol blink.
This is my first bike with a two-stage fuel light so maybe I was mistaking the first stage (fuel symbol blinking) as the only stage - it's possible the last bar wasn't blinking yet. I'll read the manual more closely. My previous bike (Kawasaki VN750 cruiser) has a fuel indicator of E...F, and my external signal to fill up (other than watching the odometer for expected mileage) was when when my engine started fuel starving and I had to switch to reserve fuel. Still, a first stage indicator at the halfway point seems silly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Not sure what part of the manual you are reading from...but the manual says this:

"The fuel meter indicates the amount of fuel remaining in the fuel tank. The fuel meter displays all 5 segments when the fuel tank is full. The mark blinks when the fuel level drops below 4.5 L (4.8 US qts). The mark and segment blink when the fuel drops below 2.5 L (2.6 US qts)."

Thats on page 3-17 of the manual. If you have a blinking light at half a tank....I think you have a problem with your gauge.
Well, that seems directly in line with how the previous 02-11 models were setup. That's good to know. Maybe the previous poster does have a problem with his fuel gauge? It would seem stupid that something Suzuki had correct on previous models screwed up so bad on 2012 models

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ah, I think I misread qts as gallons based on my experience.

Huh. I'll give my bike another fillup before I conclude I've got a faulty gauge. This time I'll take pictures to convince myself I'm not insane (which unfortunately occasionally is irrefutable).

·
Registered
305 Posts
"The fuel meter indicates the amount of fuel remaining in the fuel tank. The fuel meter displays all 5 segments when the fuel tank is full. The mark blinks when the fuel level drops below 4.5 L (4.8 US qts). The mark and segment blink when the fuel drops below 2.5 L (2.6 US qts).".
That's what my manual says, and that's what my bike does.

In fact I am pretty sure my old 2004 Vstrom used to start blinking the last segment with 3.5L to go (the later 2007 was 3.0L), so the new model gives you an even better idea of how little fuel you have left.

And seriously, the people are saying "let's attack the new model and say we won't get one" are getting a bit silly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine is just fine too, and much appreciated after having a bike with no fuel gauge at all. I think I hit 210+ miles on the first tank before the first blinking started. Tangential note: I'm nearly half way through break-in! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's not a bad idea to calculate your actual mpg periodically during different types of riding. Note the odometer or reset a trip meter when you fill up and leave some margin in the tank based on the range you expect based on the riding you've done on that tank full. Don't rely on the stated capacity of the tank either unless you have another reserve supply of fuel onboard. The fuel injected bikes won't pump every last drop out of the tank.

In small airplanes, the only time you are supposed to believe the fuel gauge is when it says you have less in the tank that you expect based on the hours you've ran that tank.

Also, the sensors for the fuel levels are no longer the float on an arm like older bikes and cars. You'd expect them to be more accurate that old technology but from our experience they aren't so consistent from tank full to another or from bike to bike. Note that the manual state "approximately" how much fuel is left then the different stages come on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I filled up tonight shortly after the last segment began blinking. It took 4.6 gallons to fill up. The bike claimed 56.4 MPG, actual was 59.5 MPG. 274 miles at that point.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Remember not to run the fuel tank too low. The fuel pump uses the fuel to cool. It isn't worth burning up the pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I filled up tonight shortly after the last segment began blinking. It took 4.6 gallons to fill up. The bike claimed 56.4 MPG, actual was 59.5 MPG. 274 miles at that point.
On other fill ups, what have you been seeing for fuel mileage?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
'

Too low is when the engine quits. Until that time there's fuel flowing through the pump and it's happy.
That does not appear to be the case. Running out or running very low often has been shown to shorten the life of the pump.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Your stated "Well yesterday, the last bar and the "low fuel" indicator started blinking, so I filled it up again. It was a lot sooner than I expected since the odometer was barely past 200 miles, and the trip computer said I'd been gettting around 44 mpg in mixed city and highway riding. Sure enough I only put in about 2.6 gallons into the bike. "

You are confused :confused: with these figures this figures over 76mpg.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts