StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a Healtech gear indicator today, and I STILL don't have my owner's manual from the dealership to refer to. I need to remove the fuel tank to get to the harness that allows the bike to detect whether or not it is in neutral. What's the best way to remove the tank?
Thanks,
Alex

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Please post in the forum so that more can benefit.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help gang, speed indicator should be here in the next two days, already taking pics of the job bit by bit....will post pics as soon as I am done. Once again, thanks for you help!

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
Pivot Bolt

I found it easier to remove and replace the pivot bolt at the front of the tank with the tank dropped back flat (not on the tilt bracket)

The manual implies that you remove the pivot bolt with the tank tilted, but that puts leverage on the bolt -- where dropping it back down makes the bolt slide right in or out easily (you still have to tilt before and after to make the connections)

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is what I have in my notes, plagerized without credit from someone much smarter than me, but whose name escapes me right now (this process also leaves the sides and fairing in place, with the exception of the black plastic "L" tank covers):

Tank removal is something that will bcome old hat in short order - just about any basic maintenance or farkle additions are simplified once the tank is off. The owners manual is quite descriptive. Remove the seat, remove the "L" shaped, black plastic pieces (one 5mm allen bolt per side), remove the bolt on the back of the tank. Then you remove the plastic piece directly behind the steering/front fork assembly. The two little push pin "toggles" are removed by pushing the centerpiece inward with a small screwdriver to loosen them( about 1/4 inch) and then pull the entire toggle out. (To re-install these things, push the pin out to the top - protrudes about a quarter inch, insert toggle into body work, push pin back to flush position.) Remove the fairing bolts on the top of the tank and two each on both sides of the fairing. The fairing must be loose to expand as the tank is removed. On the front of the tank is a long bolt/nut combo - remove it. Depending on where you are, there are various hoses (slip off), the gasoline connection (need to release the catches to pull off) and an electrical connection (gas gauge) to disconnect. I hope you don't have too much gas in the tank at this point - the emptier the better! Carefully remove the tank lifting up and back - it will "open up" the fairings as it comes out - remember this for when you are putting it back. The two locations at the front-top of the tank where the tank (it has the threaded insert for the bolt) and the fairing connect need to be undone by lifting the fairing before moving the tank sometimes. No major force or effort is required so go slowly and carefully.

The airfilter box has numerous, deeply inserted phillips head screws to undo. Make sure the gasketing and the box top are properly seated when re-installing. On my bike, the front of the box is very close to the frame and it is a tight fit to get everything properly lined up, seated, and secured. If you don't get it right, you will here the induction noise. Must be done right to keep the crud out!

Remember to reconnect the hoses, the electrical connector,and the gas line (it clicks into position) and you are good to go. Getting the front bolt thru the tank mounts and frame holes might require an extra hand to hold the tank in the right spot, etc. All in all, its not too bad a process.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts