StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In December I lifted the fuel tank on my 2012 Glee to do wiring of various farkles over the winter. This past weekend I finally got around to putting the tank and all the plastic back on. As I was re-inserting the hoses on the bottom of the tank, I realized I had a hose that I didn't know where it belonged. My memory of what I had done two months before was obviously not good. What I WAS able to connect was obvious: the fuel pump lead wire coupler (the plastic coupler), the fuel feed hose and then a hose that clamps onto an upright nipple that is bolted to the bracket that holds the rear of the tank. (This hose is, I believe, one end of the fuel tank breather hose.)

But what to do about that final hose? Well, stupid me, I just proceeded with putting everything back together w/o knowing for sure what the hose was for.

And then I worried about having probably screwed up by leaving it unattached. I sent out a request for help. Greywolf responded and told me he thought it could be the hose that connects to the tank filler well drain.

So, I took everything apart again today. Lifted the rear of the tank while my wife poured some water VERY CAREFULLY with a funnel into the fuel filler well. And VOILA! The water came out of a gold-colored (brass?) nipple underneath the tank on the very left side of the bike (rider's left side). The gold-colored nipple is right next to a hose that connects with a clamp to the underside of the tank. (This is, I'm quite sure, the OTHER end of the fuel tank breather hose--see above). I then was able to finagle my orphan hose onto that gold-colored nipple. I then tried the water test again...and thank goodness, the water drained out of a hose on the right side of the bike, by the foot pegs. Just as it should.

I took some pictures and on a couple I tried using a mirror since I couldn't lift the rear of the tank high enough to get a camera underneath. I'm not sure how to post pictures very well, so I'm not sure how clear they will be for you. But they will include two that show the hose along the left side of the bike. (The hose is the one crossing over the orange wire--a wire for my garage door opener.) And then there are two that I took with the mirror looking up up underneath the inside of the left edge of the tank that show where the hose is attached next to the hose with a clamp on it. You can see just a hint of the gold after I put the hose back on.

For those of you who have the service manual, the picture at the bottom of the left column on page 1G-7 shows this. The picture wasn't obvious enough for me to understand until I did this work today. But in that picture, #9 is the hose with the clamp that is shown in my "mirror" pictures. #10 is the nipple where my hose (the fuel tank drain hose) got attached. The manual suggests detaching the fuel tank breather hose at this location when the tank is to be lifted. I did it at the opposite end, where the nipple is attached to the bracket that holds the rear end of the fuel tank.

I hope all of this is clear enough to be of some help.

I want to express my appreciation to Pat for his suggestion. He was right on, as always.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Wingz! I'm glad you found it helpful! I will again thank Pat (Greywolf), who saved me with his suggestion.

Paul

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks for a great post Bemidjipaul. My wife and I met at BSU. I know the area well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear from you, Sean! When were you and your wife here in Bemidji? Who knows...maybe our paths crossed at one point, and seven degrees of Kevin Bacon is alive and well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts