StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a trip. On the last day I ran out of gas. I drove past a gas station when I shouldn't have, ended up pushing a headwind 2-up that destroyed my mpgs, I knew it was going to be close so I did some quick math and slowed down and figured I could make it. I didn't. I sputtered to a stop less than half a mile from the station so no big deal. It took 5.07 gallons up to the bottom of the baffle. My calculations assumed 5.3 gal. So just a warning to anybody who likes to push the envelope. I'm guessing that if I filled it up to the tippy top it would be 5.3 gal. -al

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
You are gonna burn up your fuel pump if you do that many more times.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Are you going to let it run that low on a cross country trip again? :green_lol: Two up means there's a witness to your madness, lol.

·
Registered
565 Posts
300k, time to stop and fill it, been out of gas before, don't want to do it again. Never plan to run it to the bottom of the tank. Besides after 3 hours in the saddle my butt needs a break;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just returned from a trip. On the last day I ran out of gas. I drove past a gas station when I shouldn't have, ended up pushing a headwind 2-up that destroyed my mpgs, I knew it was going to be close so I did some quick math and slowed down and figured I could make it. I didn't. I sputtered to a stop less than half a mile from the station so no big deal. It took 5.07 gallons up to the bottom of the baffle. My calculations assumed 5.3 gal. So just a warning to anybody who likes to push the envelope. I'm guessing that if I filled it up to the tippy top it would be 5.3 gal. -al

Same think here:confused:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Once I get to one flasting bar, I find a gas station. Most of the time it only takes 4 gal. But then again I don't do any interstates, so I don't have to worry about making it to the next exit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Once I get to one flasting bar, I find a gas station. Most of the time it only takes 4 gal. But then again I don't do any interstates, so I don't have to worry about making it to the next exit.
Last night 225 miles on the clock, my last bar started blinking. I went to a petrol station and it took 4.350 gallon on center stand. What's beyond flashing bar? transparent flashing bar? or empty tank? I always ride until last bar flashes, because I don't want to be pushing the bike. One does not look cool pushing a bike.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Running low on fuel

The other day as I left Wendover Ut A sign on 93A said ...next services 130 miles. Long distances of nothing are common in some areas of the rural west. While over 100 miles between services is an extreme example one needs to know where the next fuel stop is in this region. Once AAA brought me fuel from 60 miles away to my bike parked beside the pump at a gas station that had a problem with it's pumps. (Amboy, Ca on old 66)

Here is one sign closer to my home. (Death Valley Road near Big Pine Ca)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
What's beyond flashing bar? transparent flashing bar? or empty tank?
When the fuel icon starts flashing, there are 4.5 liters left. When the last bar starts flashing, there are 2.5 liters left. That's all the warning you get.

·
Registered
437 Posts
When the fuel icon starts flashing, there are 4.5 liters left. When the last bar starts flashing, there are 2.5 liters left. That's all the warning you get.
Don't I remember reading that there is still a little left after the last bar goes out?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I don't know what you remember, but that's what happens. The last bar doesn't go out but flashes as the final step. On the older bikes, it flashes between outlined and filled. On the Glee, it flashes on and off, maybe because it is smaller.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't know what you remember, but that's what happens. The last bar doesn't go out but flashes as the final step.
Evidently, neither do I. :confused:

I have to say, I never thought I would miss having reserve. I don't think I've used it more than once or twice in my 25+ years of riding street bikes, but I guess I used it as a security blanket.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Last night 225 miles on the clock, my last bar started blinking. I went to a petrol station and it took 4.350 gallon on center stand. What's beyond flashing bar? transparent flashing bar? or empty tank? I always ride until last bar flashes, because I don't want to be pushing the bike. One does not look cool pushing a bike.
Beyond "flashing bar" is "flashing bar and flashing gas-pump symbol". Supposedly indicates there is less than half-gallon or so before empty. Then it's time to worry!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's the other way around. Fuel pump icon flashes first, then the last bar flashes with it when you get down to about 0.7gal. I thought I had it figured that there was a gallon left at that point, but now that I know my figures are off by 0.3 gal, I can get that much closer to town before I run out. LOL.

This is the first time I have ever run out on a bike. Honestly. My wife wasn't real happy about it standing out there in the rain, until I pointed out that you could see the gas station from there and it was mostly downhill. She laughed about it later. The range is so long on this bike that I kinda forget about gas sometimes.

Around here you can't necessarily start thinking about gas when the bar starts flashing, though. You have to think ahead. Earlier in the summer I rode out to the west coast. From Ely, NV to Tonopah on US6 was 168 miles of nothing. No gas, no towns, no people or vehicles. That's the longest stretch I've seen. I would have a hard time doing that on my cruiser if there was a headwind, I'd have to go slow. -al

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So let me tell you about the other lesson I learned on this trip...

Wifey and I bummed around Colorado for 9 days, about 50/50 dirt/pavement. On about day 3 the bike started making noise. It varied and came and went. Sometimes it was a rattle, like a loose exhaust heat shield on my old dodge pickup, and only when I took off from a stop or climbed a bumpy hill. Sometimes it sounded like knocking. I resisted the urge to dream up the worst case scenarios about my bike grenading at any moment. Other times it was a pulsating groan at moderate speed on pavement. I looked everywhere for the source. Check for rocks in my skid plate, even took it off and rode without it a little. No change. It kinda looks like my fork brace is rubbing the fender, take it off, no change. But then when I lubed the chain it got quiet. Okay, that was easy. But then the noise came back after 100 miles. Dang this chain must be toast. But it doesn't appear to be wearing at all. Only had 10k miles on it and I took care of it I thought. About the 3rd or 4th time I lubed it (every 100 miles or so) I noticed a shiny spot on the chain all the way around. The bike got quiet again after I pulled the sprocket cover and dumped the rocks out.

Sticky: everybody check your sprocket cover for rocks. LOL. -al

·
Registered
877 Posts
I use the rule of thumb now that when the gas icon starts flashing, I look at my fuel economy readout- I can go about that distance before needing fuel. Similarly, I can go 1/2 the distance when the last bar starts flashing. This assumes all else is equal (speed, terrain and headwind.) I ran into a horrendous headwind one time and ran out of gas on a 45 mile stretch with no gas stations- came up 3 miles short.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
It's well known amongst my mates that I love to challenge a fuel gauge.

Yes I have lost a few times (not yet on the wee) but it is all part of this adventure we call life.

I once run out of fuel twice in one day, in the morning I run out in my boat and we had to be towed back, I still maintain it was not my fault.

Then that evening we went out for drinks, because we were running late I drove and did not drink, well yes we ran out in the car too.

As the mate and I walked off to the fuel station his comment to me was DON'T EVER GET A PILOTS LICENCE

1 - 20 of 28 Posts