StromTrooper banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Haha That's my poppa's Ultra and those Vance Hines pipes he's got on make the definition of what freedom sounds like. He sent off the parts to be custom painted while he was rebuilding it after his accident. The picture doesn't do it justice, you should see it out in the sun. It's actually his garage as well. I take my projects over there when I've got some work that needs done, since I am garageless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've got the parts needed for the bypass ready for pickup tomorrow. I went with the Wix fuel filter #33032 for now, but i am curious of any options that allow for cleanable filters or if maybe the wix can be back-washed?

I have some build up in my gas tank from the gas that was sitting in it for over 2 years. I would love to properly clean it, but the phrase "flash rust" comes up with a lot of the chemicals used and it worries the hell out of me. It looks similar to the same yellow build up that was on the base of the pump and its coated lightly on some sections inside the tank. I attempted to shake it up with clean gas before getting to this point of looking into the bypass, right after installing a new hi-pressure filter/regulator. I had the thought that if i found cheap or cleanable filters that i might be able to buy a couple and cycle them as i add additive to the gas and clean it out that way. However, I know that it would be a safer bet to clean the tank, but I'm really not sure where to start with it. It doesn't appear to be corroded now and i don't want to mess up my tank. I mean would the changing or cleaning of the filter, after bypass, be good enough or am i gonna need to suck it up and try and do a chemical flush?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Now that you've done or have decided to do the filter bypass, and the inside of your tank isn't showing signs of corrosion (rust), then flush it with clean gas while the tank is off the bike and with the fuel pump removed. Plug the holes and slosh it around and even let it sit a few hours or overnight then slosh it some more, drain and repeat if necessary. You can add a bit of sea-foam or naphtha while doing the sloshing but I don't think its really required at this stage of the process. Run your new Wix filter for the rest of this season and change it out prior to next season and you should be good. Remember, don't park the bike over winter without a full tank of non-ethanol fuel and some fuel extender for good measure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bypass is done and the bike is running better than ever! I should've done this first. I have some pics of the process as well. You,ll find a decent angle of viewing the hole drilled in the hi-pressure filter/regulator assembly. As well as the method I use to remove the bugger from the pump assembly and cleaning of the varnish in the gas tank (using a shotgun barrel cleaning tool). My final product and then a picture from my test ride up to the Tail of the Dragon (picture taken above Fontana Dam)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
As this seems similar to my bike's current situation was your bike dying at stop lights as well as the high speed stutter? I am experience both. thank you in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glad to see you solved the problem. Like you I have posted a few questions and got great responses. I would add some lucas fuel treatment. It lubes the pump as well.I have used it in everything from weedwacker to my car and truck. I do like the yellow. I looked at a yellow 1000 that sat as well but seller would not budge on price. I have a 05 1000 now.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
As this seems similar to my bike's current situation was your bike dying at stop lights as well as the high speed stutter? I am experience both. thank you in advance.
A partially blocked fuel pump (that can be fixed with the external filter and bypass treatment) will not effect how the bike runs under low load. So you may have 2 independent problems. What is your idle RPM setting? 1300?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts