StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there

Which fuel stabiliser do you guys use to store your Vs? I've always used Stabil but may switch to Seafoam as it gets rid of moisture as well... post your results!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I don't store my bikes but I run Starbrite Startron in every tank. I do this to cure the ethanol problem. It is also a stabilizer.

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
I use Marine Formula Sta-Bil per the directions on the bottle, it is for use with Ethanol based fuel. It's the "blue" stuff. I pour it in, fill the gas tank, rock back and forth, and then take a short ride to run it through the system.

I use regular Sta-Bil, it's the red stuff, in the lawn mower that few fill ups of the year and in the snow blower. But I use non-Ethanol fuel in them.

Both are usually available at Wal-Mart here.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I run both the ethanol StaBil and Seafoam in everything I fill at home but I also add it to the Strom in the winter and occasionally through out the year. I have been doing it for well over a decade and even my inexpensive Poulan chainsaw still runs like a champ with those tiny ports in the carbs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I use Seafoam in all my bikes in the winter. Also use it year round in the lawnmower and snowblower. Haven't ever had any issues with starting any of the motors after a period of sitting.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
I don't store my bikes but I run Starbrite Startron in every tank. I do this to cure the ethanol problem. It is also a stabilizer.
i use sta-bil marine formula ethanol treatment in every tank. IMHO, i get slightly better mpg using the stuff.
(1.5 mpg) which makes it cost effective. works ok for me.

----------------------------------------
V-Strom (Suzuki DL1000) | Fuelly

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
Not sure, I haven't seen the 360 on the shelves, but here's what they say:

"STA-BIL Marine: Specially formulated for use in harsh marine environments, STA-BIL® Marine offsets the effects of moisture in today's ethanol-blended fuels and protects marine engines during storage."

"STA-BIL 360°: This revolutionary new fuel additive releases a corrosion fighting vapor inside the fuel system, that coats ALL metal parts of the fuel system, where other additives can’t reach --including ABOVE and BELOW the fuel line. Available in both automotive and marine versions."

360 sounds like more of a fuel additive.

·
Registered
2020 1050XT
312 Posts
"STA-BIL 360°: This revolutionary new fuel additive releases a corrosion fighting vapor inside the fuel system, that coats ALL metal parts of the fuel system, where other additives can’t reach --including ABOVE and BELOW the fuel line. Available in both automotive and marine versions."

360 sounds like more of a fuel additive.[/QUOTE]

I had not seen STA-BIL 360 before. I saw it at their booth at the SEMA show and talk to the rep about it. I'm giving it a try this winter. The protection above the fuel level interested me. If I do a few short rides I don't have to refill the tank to keep it protected.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't run add anything to my Wee because it's rare that a tank of gas last much more than a week. I guess that will change when I move to Colorado in retirement. I do ad Sta-bil Marine to my boat to help with ethanol separation issues because it doesn't get run near as much.

·
Administrator
18,301 Posts
I don't run add anything to my Wee because it's rare that a tank of gas last much more than a week. I guess that will change when I move to Colorado in retirement. I do ad Sta-bil Marine to my boat to help with ethanol separation issues because it doesn't get run near as much.
Still not a bad idea to run something like some Techron through the system on a regular basis, it sure can't hurt and it helps keep the system nice and clean.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Nothing removes water. These products emulsify the water so it passes through the engine without problems. Minimize water problems by storing with a full tank of stabilized gasoline.

Gasoline deteriorates in storage. This is a separate issue from water accumulation. The stabilizers extend the storage time by greatly slowing the deterioration.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I never use any fuel stabilizers in my Wee. 100% gasoline is widely available in my area, so I just keep the tank as full as possible with 100% gasoline. Same in my gas powered lawn mower which sits idle for 4-5 months without being started.

Down here, winter time is the time to ride. Too damn hot from June-Sept to enjoy riding the bike.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Seafoam without a doubt. The local small engine place in town told me years ago that Stabil keeps them in business. That's all I needed to hear. Also run it through every tank if I can.

Reactions: stefman722

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm a fan of Amsoil products and have had great results with

their fuel stabilizer. I have had gas stored for over 2 years that I use for my generator, chain saw, weed wacker, etc and it always works fine. Never a hint of gumming up or water contamination. Works for me!

Hey there

Which fuel stabiliser do you guys use to store your Vs? I've always used Stabil but may switch to Seafoam as it gets rid of moisture as well... post your results!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Still not a bad idea to run something like some Techron through the system on a regular basis, it sure can't hurt and it helps keep the system nice and clean.
Well I do run Chevron with Techron most of the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts