StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first I have searched the fourm, found nothing soo.. for those that want to say use the search button.. use the back button. thanks

I hvae only had a strom for 2000 miles. I have been using regular unleaded and getting good results. right at 50 mpg with all kinds of riding, on road, off road, and freeway.

the bike tho, at times idles up to 2k rpms, mostly in the morning even after the engine is worm. anyway I got some dumb idea to run a tank of super and see how she runs. wow.. it seems to run a lot better. smoother and quiter all around.

so the question I have is.. what octain should I be running?

thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Update your profile. I went to check the year of your bike and it says you don't have one. If you have a 2006 or earlier model, you can adjust your idle speed. Set it to 1300rpm when warm. Run 87 octane. Premium is just more resistant to knocking but many people imagine many things about it that aren't happening.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Depending on your location / altitude 87 should be just fine. Running 91/93 will not gain you anything really. Maybe try a different gas station for a while to see how it goes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update your profile.
done.

Tucson is 2300 to 2500 feet. not high at all. but it is extremely dry. today humidity is high at 21%. dryer air hot air must have an effect on how the fuel gets mixed.

all I can tell you for sure is that the bike is running noticeably smoother.

·
38,103 Posts
Octane won't make any difference. Hot air is less dense meaning less oxygen for the same volume. Dry air has less water in it so has more oxygen for the same volume. The two factors tend to cancel each other out. There is absolutely no different quality in the different octane that would change idle speed. Smoother can be about fuel quality or the user's bias, but not octane.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Greywolf as usual speaks the truth.

All other things being equal, higher octane fuel will produce less power in an engine that isn't tuned for it. The only positive effect you will ever get from using a higher octane fuel is reduction or elimination of detonation (spark knock) that can occur from running too low of an octane fuel.

That said, it is possible that other differences in the fuel could give you different results. For example, fuels with Ethanol will produce less power than fuels without. Many places have seasonal fuel blends. Maybe the tanker carrying the gas wasn't well sealed and got some condensation.

Whatever it is, its not octane. Try a different gas station.

·
38,103 Posts
do a compar-o, reg, vs prem.. which ever one gives you the best mpg is the best fuel for your bike.
Not mpg but bang for the buck. If you get 2% better mileage for 3% more money, it's a bad idea. Also, doing a good, scientific comparison is harder than it sounds. There is no way to get identical conditions between trips.

·
Registered
392 Posts
gas

This is never gonna die, amazing. The gas companies should get some award for the advertizing crap saying that "buy our high test gas and do your engine a favor" type crap. It's a complete lie and it seems everyone believed it, amazing.

There's a fool born every minute.

Bill H.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The manual calls for 87 octane :fineprint: and I would consider mpg/$ so you get a accurate assessment of the cost of running premium. I sold my wing for the Wee because I was tired of running premium and wanted to save myself the trouble.:headbang: I have been running pretty hard since I've passed the break in and still manage over 50mpg.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Maybe try a different gas station for a while to see how it goes.
Yep. There are differences between brands of gas, also seasonal differences in each brand.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
so.. I did not try 91 octane, because I was looing for better mpg.. I did not try it just because I wanted to start a thread about it. I have been driving all sorts of cars and trucks sense I was 14. I have been riding for 25+ years and have many many thousands of miles under my butt on many different kinds of bikes. this is the first strom tho.

Im not selling anything. not looking to argue the finer points of chemistry.

I can tell you what has happened.. simple as that. I bought a bike and after 2000 miles on it I realized while at a gas pump that I really was not sure what fuel I was supposed to be using.. I thought about it for about 3 seconds. decieded that the dl650 is really close to a sv650 and maybe they are tuned for 91/92.. really dont know but Ill run a tank and see what happeneds. simple. in the 2000+ miles on the strom, I have gased up all over.. as I have been all over. I dont have a regular water hole. I have been getting 50 to 51 mpg, no matter what I do.. on road, off road, in town, highway.. im getting right at 50 no matter what I do. which is good I think. predictable

five miles down the road.. the bike quit running. and I was thinking.. holy crap I killed my bike. after key on and trying to start then key off a few times.. she started up, ran rough for a few seconds.. and has been running better ever sense. thats what happened.

now.. you can believe what you want. I have not noticed any drop in power, tho I am not the kind of rider that hits 10k rpms.. I have noticed that the bike pulls better at 3k rpms and is quiter while doing it. vibration is down maybe 10% and noise maybe 15 to 20 %.

I ride every day and on weekends. I know what I know.. not wanting to argue just wanted to know what kind of fuel people run? and if the dl was actually tuned for 91 vs 87.

also, I know the price vs mpg argument. Im not looking to make any kind of case for better mpg and that people should pay more at the pump to get 2 more mpg and how worth it that is. thats stupid. what I am saying is that the bikes runs differently and IMO, its worth it to me to figure out why and if the effects are good/bad and based on that I will decide for myself if its worth the extra 2 bucks every week.

ive been watching this board for months and while there are some really smart people here, sometimes people act like pretentious wieners. dont get it. dont need to be preached at.. just looking for info.

·
Registered
392 Posts
gas

There is only one difference between low grade (octane) gas and high test, it's the anti knock properties of higher octane in gas designed for high compression engines that are prone to knock. That's it, otherwise there is no difference at all, none. It won't make the bike smoother, run better or anything else, it just prevents knock. Since this bike doesn't knock on regular gas it does absolutely nothing except cost you money. Anything else is imagined.

Bill H.

·
Administrator
13,812 Posts
There is only one difference between low grade (octane) gas and high test, it's the anti knock properties of higher octane in gas designed for high compression engines that are prone to knock. That's it, otherwise there is no difference at all, none. It won't make the bike smoother, run better or anything else, it just prevents knock. Since this bike doesn't knock on regular gas it does absolutely nothing except cost you money. Anything else is imagined.

Bill H.
I agree that our bikes don't need Premium, but Premium isn't always just about Octane. Some gas companies put a better additive package in their premium so if you had a vehicle that had carbon issues or other fuel system issues the additives might just clear some of that out. (Of course, aftermarket stand alone additives can do the same thing.) One other thing is that (in Ontario at least) Shell Super is labeled as having no alcohol whereas other premium brands are labeled as having up to 10% alcohol. My personal belief is that the less alcohol the better ( especially in our climate.) My Strom is filled with 87 octane except for the rare times that I store for the winter. My car runs on Super as it requires 91 Octane up. Lower octane in that case lowers the fuel mileage as the ECU backs off the timing to avoid knocking so I get less mileage and also less power.

..Tom

·
38,103 Posts
Sometimes I forget premium can mean no ethane or a better detergent package. Where I live, all grades have ethane and I stick to top tier fuels that have good additive packages in regular as well as premium.

·
Registered
15,609 Posts
Yep, the book do say for 2004 Wee, 87 octane. I got a low of 44 mpg but I was running near warp for a good distance with head winds. More civilized momentum gives 50+ mpg.
Pinging, What pinging? I wear earplugs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I left this thread up on the the computer and my wife says I was being mean.. so I have to say sorry..... OK.. OK

Here's what I don't get. There is some simple physics here. You can't have sound without vibration. So if there is pinging that I no longer hear... that means less noise. Simple physics says less noise means?

Anyway. I'm not really gona argue the point anymore. I know what I hear and feel. So you can try it for yourself.. see what comes of it. If I'm right.. you'll be happy. If I'm not your out a couple of bucks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts