StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 DL1000. Had a dealer install a new fuel pump. Now I see while trying to track down the smell of fuel, that on the pump side there is no clip on the metal line. My fuel line is just pushed onto the metal line there with nothing to keep it from moving off. Sometimes it leaks, sometimes it does not.

In this picture, the part I am missing is the grey plastic clip at the end of the metal line.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I am sure I can't buy this clip seperately.... anyone have one laying around to help keep me from bursting into flames?

TIA
-ct

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Get your old fuel pump back from the dealer, pronto.

It's also quite likely you could sell the old fuel pump to someone interested in disassembling and repairing it. I believe the pump and pump motor were made by Mitsubishi, and there are scattered reports of people finding a replacement intended for a car.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
A high pressure fuel injection line clamp will work.

And for sure get your old pump back. Most times the filter takes a poop...bad pumps are rare.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
If there is not some sort of high pressure clamp or holding method it sounds very unsafe.

Fuel hose, Rear exhaust, your crotch

·
Registered
54 Posts
The fuel line clip is the same one used on Ford EFI systems for about 20 years. Most auto parts stores will have them.
Tom Hart

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If I got VD from a prostitute...I would find a different one to take home next time.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Curious

did your pump stop working? what induced you to replace it? How many K's on your Bike?

sorry for the questions, but My fuel pump has recently changed it's pitch, has become louder, and I am concerned this will be my next, well first major repair....

I have a K9 with just over 80,000 Km's...

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
There are two ways to check the pump/filter...and its the filter that clogs almost always.

1) Do a flow test...can be a pain
2) Or wait for the tell tale symptom - engine cutting out above 7,000 rpm or so. It just starves for fuel. It can be ridden this way for some time so it will not clog up and quit completely. At 47,000 miles mine clogged. The filter is around $300. I backflushed mine with solvent and it works great. Next time I will do the bypass...maybe.

I check my filter every ride or two by making a full pull on the engine to the redline.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts